Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT Engine Swap HELP!

Well my buddy kept driving his RXT too long after the SC washers went south. Lost compression on 2 cyls. He decided to go with the SBT swap due to the warranty. We are going to tackle this ourselves. Ive done plenty of seadoo 2 stroke rebuilds and Yamaha/Honda 4 stroke swaps, but this is my first 4tec Swap. Need a little advice from you experts!

So far so good, pulled the engine no issues. Pulled the stator cover off to find a broken timing chain, and a round cylinder piece fell out (Holding in my hand in pic) What is this and where does it go?

What is the best way to go about removing the PTO? Ive got the flywheel off and swaped over to the new engine (What does the dot on the flywheel need to line up with? (Finger pointing in pic)

Any other tips on what to look out for? Make sure of? While swapping all this stuff over?

Thanks in advance for the input guys! This is by far the best site on the net for help and im sure We can figure this out with a little advice .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	233111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1666.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	233112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	233113  

Duppy no who fi frighten, Make Dem Try Good2Go16's Avatar
    The piece your holding in your hand is the timing chain tensioner. As for the dot on the flywheel, I'm not sure probably just for balance.

Make sure the new motor is timed properly before you put on the flywheel. There is a little line on the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts up an a little line on the balance shaft, they both have to line up.

I orderd the PTO removal tool. Trying to get it off the crank, I have my impact gun wide open and its not seeming to budge it! You turn the PTO to the left to remove correct? or does it have reverse threads and need to be spun to the right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    I orderd the PTO removal tool. Trying to get it off the crank, I have my impact gun wide open and its not seeming to budge it! You turn the PTO to the left to remove correct? or does it have reverse threads and need to be spun to the right?
    Under removal, my shop manual says, Note: PTO coupling has left hand thread. It is going to be tight as the torque spec on this is 250 N.m (184 lbf.ft) and is on with Loctite 648.

+1
    Make sure you have the pin hole in the trigger wheel lined up with the pin in the crank.

Wow! I might need a bigger impact? Never had anything this gun wouldnt bust loose!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    Wow! I might need a bigger impact? Never had anything this gun wouldnt bust loose!!!
    Yes it`s going to be tight. Regarding the dot on the Ring Gear, nothing about it in the manual, so it is probably just for balancing. Fit new OEM rotor screws, (latest spec) as these come with threadlocker already applied. There one time use only as their stretch bolts. Torque these to 15 N.m (133 lbf.ft). Finish tightening the screws with an additional 50 degrees rotation with a torque angle gauge.
    Last edited by heckie; 03-23-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: additional info

+1
    I am almost positive that the PTO is right hand thread. The prop spins counter clockwise so that tells me the crank is threaded right handed. I did notice the note in the manual but manuals have and are wrong in some cases. I have removed mine in the past and I remember it being right hand thread. What direction thread is the SBT reman crank?

Well My buddy just brought over his Big a$$ gun he uses to torque semi lug nuts and it wont even budge this damn thing! The SBT crank looks like the PTO will thread on to the right. So spinning it left should remove it from the OEM crank. I even tried heating the PTO up with a propane torch with no luck! Im running out of ideas here!

+1
    I had to break mine loose with a 5 foot cheater bar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information