Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Time to get a new ski, can I get some feedback please?

Ok, I've got 2 gp 1200's a 97/99 and a the trailer I am THINKING of getting rid of them so I can get either 2 newer ski's or one really nice one. I've just out grown them, they seem so small and slow now
    I, prefer Yamaha. Not sure what I can get outta these, just yet, but -
    Anyone care to give me some ideas of a newer ski's that would be worth looking @?

Thanks!

+1
    Are you looking for a newer 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

+1
    Those plus about seven grand will get you a 2011 VXS.

Seriously, what do you want to do with your ski(s)?
    If you want to mod them yourself you'll have to stay with a GP1200R or GP1300R.
    The two-strokes are simple enough to tear down and put back together that you can do it yourself.
    If you don't care about mods and/or don't want to get your hands dirty go for a four-stroke.
    Four-strokes get better gas mileage and pollute less if that matters to you.
    Two-strokes are cheaper and will last for hundreds of hours whereas fours will last for thousands.
    I have ridden four-strokes but own only two-strokes. When riding I liken the two-strokes to a '68 big block Camaro, you feel the machine. You're more a part of it.
    Piloting a four-stroke is similar to driving a big, new Mercedes with traction control, active cruise control, lane departure warning, active suspension, etc.. You are isolated, just along for the ride.
    Good luck with your decision.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    IMO, you've done the two strokes, it's time to step up to the four stroke. Fuel economy is better, reliability is better, just to name a few.
    A bunch of us on the forum have picked up new overstock yami's the last couple of weeks. thats an option, you can save a ton. The new VXR is getting some good reviews also. If your looking for new, head to your local dealership and check them out. If you can get a test ride, thats great, but at least sit on them and check the fit and feel of the machines. They do very by quite a bit. Also remember with new you can get a 3 or 5 year extended warranty. The amount of horse power ranges greatly also. It all comes down to how much you want to spend and what type of craft best fits YOUR needs.
    Hope this helped, good luck and happy shopping.

+1
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like 2 and 4 have their pros & cons. I guess I am really just looking for something that is pretty dependable, because I feel like I am pretty hard on them, and will last, doesn't need a lot of mods or at least expensive mode, to be what I want which is mainly - just big ( bigger than the gp1200 ) and something that will run atleast 70 or more stock, and handle well. I don't wave jump, but do like to run fast across the lake. If there were waves here, I'd jump 'em!

This is a great read:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...R-vs.-2011-FZR

also poke around the 4 stroke forum on the latest video`s!

+1 what Chad said!

You can find a pair of used Yami FX HO's fairly cheap in middle TN. They also will probably be fresh water jets. If you not wanting a 350 hp monster, i would recommend this jet. Great fuel mileage big fuel tank. Great on rough water. With gas prices where they are I would stay away from the SC engines. The sea doos can go 65-70 miles between fuel pumps the FX HO can easily go 120miles cruising at 40-45mph. Also 2 stroke oil is VERY expensive for the good stuff!!

Roy

+1
    You need to keep one of your GP1200's and get the head milled and the cylinders ported. I have 270hrs on my Group K motor, and in smooth water I beat all of the newer ski's in a drag, with the exception of the RXP-X. The X beats me sometimes, sometimes I beat them, it's very close. Don't get all excited about 255 to 300hp ski's that weigh 800-950lbs. It's all about power to weight ratio.

+1
    i love my rxpx! thought about selling but changed my mind. although there isn't anything that Pisses me off more seeing guys with gp1200's with rxpx motors clocking I'n at 90+ mph. if i was to do things over again, i would go the yammydoo route mentioned above. reliable and fun as he'll I'm sure!

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    The new VXR is getting some good reviews also.
    If I had the money...thats the ski I'd be checking out. After I sufficiently explore my current 2 stroke ski, I'm gonna start looking for a 4 stroke to try out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information