Rebuild or reman

Ok I finally found time to tear down My 01 gp1200r. And here are the results.Cyl1 trash skirt on the bottom of the cyl broken and you can probably figure out what the piston looks like. Cyl 2+3 are nicked up a little (bad enough to have to get them replated. The crank? Well the bearing on the stator end is not good the others seem good but are suspect now.(I am going to a crank shop for an estimate with in a few days.) so my question is this. esentially I have a good set of cases three kids a wife and a crappy job.Do I rebuild Or go with a reman with a warrenty.I do plan on carb mods, wave eater clips and Flame arrestors. Allready running d plate and chip.

so my question is this. esentially I have a good set of cases three kids a wife and a crappy job.

Seriously, with this criteria, I would suggest you bail on the project for now...
    This can be costly and in excess of 2k done correctly without the carbs redone and extra bolt ons...
    and you would also have to find and repair the initial cause of the failure.

maybe possibly buy used parts, or a good used running engine.
    You would have to determine if the overall value of the ski is worth it in the end. maybe also find something else running with the money necc to repair this one correctly... Jets skis like to spend your money... good luck...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Jets skis like to spend your money... good luck...

I agree with Pale Rider, you might want to hold off on this for now.

Wow I didn't think any one was going to reply I havn't even looked at this one in a while. crank shop was bad news . but I am rebuilding.The wife feels responsible because she weeded it up and kept on truckin WOT @ probably 2 mphTook her 20 minutes to go about a mile and a half.She knows better. So at least I have the guilt card in my hand. I can"t see trashing the rest of this ski. My entire family has skis(including My kids) And Mine is the best of the bunch. Infact I would love to do a conversion someday but for now I just want to get it reliable again.The GPR is an awsome hull.

Quote Originally Posted by broke View Post
    Wow I didn't think any one was going to reply
    This place is like MOTEL 6, the light is always left on... good luck with your build...

Rebuild it! Im in the middle of my rebuild. Its gonna cost money, we knew that before we ever got on the water! Good Luck and keep us updated.

Youre right! The wife was mad at Me when I bought it she"s mad at Me for having to spend cash on it after She melted it down. And ya Know what she'll be mad about something else tomorrow.

Thread Information