GP1300 hits the rev limiter out of the hole

Hey guys I just got my ported GPR back together a couple weeks ago and when you nail the throttle out of the hole it will hit the rev limiter a few times before it starts to pull very well. It almost feels like it needs a larger prop. I am running a 14/20 right now but am about to have it repitched. If I go to a 14/22 thats not going to help it from hitting the rev limiter on holeshot though right? Its an almost new wear liner in the ski. Thanks for the help.

+1
    Your gonna need to repitch that 14/20. My ported ski has a 14/23 pitched by Jim Performance.

yes I know a repitch is for sure but I would like to get it completly broken in then get an rpm reading before I send off the prop. with the prop repitch to a 14/22 its not going to lower the holeshot rpm though will it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slydogge View Post
    yes I know a repitch is for sure but I would like to get it completly broken in then get an rpm reading before I send off the prop. with the prop repitch to a 14/22 its not going to lower the holeshot rpm though will it?
    with a ported motor your gonna lose some of your holeshot but gain tons of midrange and top end. Your not gonna gain much with that 14/20 except hitting your rev limiter constantly. You want the RPM's around 7150-7200.

when I get out this sunday im going to see what rpm's im running. I just dont see how a higher top pitch will affect the holeshot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slydogge View Post
    when I get out this sunday im going to see what rpm's im running. I just dont see how a higher top pitch will affect the holeshot.
    Porting the motor itself affects the hole shot. But increases your midrange and top end tremendously. The prop pitch is to bring your RPM's down to the correct RPM and you won't be hitting the Rev limiter.

+1
    Take a look inside your pump tunnel, and measure the clearance from your impellor to the wear ring, and compare it to the manual. If it's out of spec, then when you send it in for a repitch, have the edges redone to the correct clearance. Verify your wear ring isn't worn out, or the liner separating from the housing.

Also, if you've been punching the crap out of it, and cavitating a lot, you may have blown out your pump shoe seal.

Thread Information