Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RXP -- LOVES COLDER WATER

The water temp at our riding spot dropped 8 degrees from Katrina. I put in this weekend and notice the lake temp was now 80. I nailed the throttle a few time and was so hard on the rev limiter 8450 rpms I had to come back in and change pump setup to get it down to 8350 which gave me a 2 mph gain. So you guys that are allways disappointed that your not seeing the speeds of the guys up north it is not you. They have the benefit of colder water.

We have cooler water up here in the North because we piss over the Dam to wram up the water down stream, not in our own swimming hole LOL. 74 deg water temps here in Wisconsin.

+1
    Yea, cold water does amazing things for these intercooled engines.

+1
    wter temp on the lake Im on is about 85-90 deg. need a cool can set up

+1
    Dan, water temps where im at was 90 degrees over the weekend

Do you have any pics of that cool can setup? I've been toying with the idea of trying one.

Unfortunately I forgot my gps this past weekend, but I got out on the lake early morning. Lake temp was 80 air temp was 78 and I was hitting 8100-8150 no problems. Usually I only reach 7850-7950 during the day when everything heats up. This was with my stock ski, can't wait to start modding

Ours was 90's in mid summer and air temps of 97+ I lost 50-100 RPM not a lot

I thought about using a cooler in the front compartment and use the bags of blue ice so I don't have to worry about water slossing. Then using a tube with a valve so I could turn it on and off. Maybe have the valve external so I could reach it quickly.

I would think the cooler would need a vent in it and the tube entering the intake. Then the suction would just pull cold air in instead of suctioning the cooler. If the vent on the cooler was connected to outside air I would think it would be more efficient than trying to cool hull air with the ice then throwing it into the intake.

I also thought about using ice and having salt added which makes ice even colder but I think this would have the ice melting quickly. Would work great if you knew a grudge match was about to happen and you could tip over the can of salt into the cooler.

If it was possible maybe using a low watt peltier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peltier-Cooler-T...QQcmdZViewItem
    This one uses 6amps and turns things to ice in seconds.

Then you could have it freeze a large blue ice bag. The hot side you could have water cooled from the water intake.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    see now i gotta disagree a little... colder water is more dense so the ski is more bouyant in cold water.... that may help the situation.

cold air we know is a huge gain.

where i am... i ride thru very late and early winters and springs in like 38-40 degree water... but it's SALT water.... and i never have speeds that are higher than right now...

i see my best speeds in early fall when air temps decline but water is at it's warmest temps... that's been my experience in NY.

so i say cold water helps with hull bouyancy.... but cold water and salt especially goes against propulsion bc it's heavier more dense water to push.

i don't know what the right answer is, but my RXT speeds this past week have been some record highs for me... and it's in the warmest water but coolest air i've had in awhile.

Shibby1485, What is the warmest water you have ridden in. We are talking about 90 degree water. Just 5 to 8 degrees cooler water makes a big diference on my ski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information