Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

carpet or slides on trailer

hey guys, just bought a shorelander double trailer, older....like 1998 maybe( hand ratchet style winches) just wondering if anyone uses slides on the carpet, does it scratch. the carpet is in ok shape. but want to keep my 05 gtx looking good as new! also anyone have one of these trailers with a 4-tec on it, how does it work, second machine will be a 97 xp. trailer is one of these http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ266929950
    slides....
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...s_1_5_W_x_15_L

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-53-e-z-...iler-pads.aspx

+1
    I put the http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html on my single trailer. The carpet has already scratched the hell out of my FZR hull. When I launch out Tuckahoe (beach ramp), sometimes you cannot get the trailer bunks in the water. I've since put on the surfix glides and it is very easy to move the ski off and on the trailer. I cannot say if they will scratch any more or less than the carpets already have, but so far I prefer them. The only issue I have now is that I have to keep the ski running while putting on the trailer at a normal ramp. If I shut it off, it slides completely back into the water because they are so slippery.

The only bad thing about the surfix one is that they are 3" wide and 4.5 feet long. Pretty much all jetski bunks are 6 feet. So I bought 3 and cut two 1.5 foot sections out of the 3rd piece to cover the each bunk completely. I have now ordered 6 more to do my new dual trailer.

Probably the best thing would be "rollers", but some people said the drawback to that is each roller puts stress on a single point on the hull. Wether or not that can damage it or not, I do not know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    I put the http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html on my single trailer. The carpet has already scratched the hell out of my FZR hull. When I launch out Tuckahoe (beach ramp), sometimes you cannot get the trailer bunks in the water. I've since put on the surfix glides and it is very easy to move the ski off and on the trailer. I cannot say if they will scratch any more or less than the carpets already have, but so far I prefer them. The only issue I have now is that I have to keep the ski running while putting on the trailer at a normal ramp. If I shut it off, it slides completely back into the water because they are so slippery.

The only bad thing about the surfix one is that they are 3" wide and 4.5 feet long. Pretty much all jetski bunks are 6 feet. So I bought 3 and cut two 1.5 foot sections out of the 3rd piece to cover the each bunk completely. I have now ordered 6 more to do my new dual trailer.

Probably the best thing would be "rollers", but some people said the drawback to that is each roller puts stress on a single point on the hull. Wether or not that can damage it or not, I do not know.
    http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html +1 Have spent over 2k on his product and love them!!!!

+1
    on my trailer i just re carpeted... went to a carpet store one night and found some in there dumpster that was prefect lol but everyone likes there own... i was cheap lol

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Liquid Rollers FTW.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel04 View Post
    hey guys, just bought a shorelander double trailer, older....like 1998 maybe( hand ratchet style winches) just wondering if anyone uses slides on the carpet, does it scratch. the carpet is in ok shape. but want to keep my 05 gtx looking good as new! also anyone have one of these trailers with a 4-tec on it, how does it work, second machine will be a 97 xp. trailer is one of these http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ266929950
    slides....
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...s_1_5_W_x_15_L

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-53-e-z-...iler-pads.aspx
    I have that exact trailer,it works good. The biggest down side is the bunks don't adjust left-right, so 2 wide ski's might be a problem (notice how close the 2 GTX are in your pic)-not sure how wide the 4 Tech's are. With your XP you should be fine.

The good "bunk carpets" don't scratch, it's usually sand and dirt on the carpet/slides that will scratch.
    I use the slides at the back of the bunks-really helps to slide a PWC onto a stand,otherwise not needed

my 2 cents:

Surfix bunk glides work very well... and they are slippery dry or wet. I ordered a custom length of 68" so they came 3x68...

bc the GPR has been a know pita for bunks, I took a radial saw and mitered all 4 edges.
    over time I found the glides to be just as damaging to the hull as carpet. I found that the recessed holes for the screws where scrapping the hull, go figure...
    because the glides are hard (harder than carpet) the rear edge of the hull was being worn down more right at the bunk support bracket... and even the rounded mitered edge was wearing a groove in the hull...
    over the last few years I went from carpet, to bunkaps (< they are junk) back to carpet, then used the surfix glides for one season and recently returned back to carpeted upright bunks, set narrow.
    I don`t know what I`m going to try next...
    here`s a pic of the surfix glides mitered...

so, like NCheel said, I spray LR on the carpet and call it a day...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Liquid Rollers FTW.
    +1000000000
    That stuff works, but almost too well. I use it on the carpeted bunks on my double trailer to make it easier to get the skis onto shop stands by myself. I have no problem moving the SHO full of fuel single handed. Once applied it is dry to the touch & not greasy so doesn't attract dirt. Only problem is the skis slide right back off the trailer when loading/unloading so I have to pull up, keep the engine idling to keep them from floating away & use the winch to pull them up. One application last a LONG time too. The skis shift more when trailering so you have to make sure they're tied down real tight.

I used these on one of my singles:
    http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/index.html
    They have a textured side that is more grippy & a smooth side. I used the smooth side so they wouldn't scratch my hull but they still dull the paint from trailering. These hold well enough that I can release the bow without the ski sliding off the bunks, but once I get on the ski, one tug on the handlebars will slide me off the trailer. Works great for the GPR that has no reverse. When the carpet on my double is due for replacement I'll probably end up buying more of these bunks. I did notice they are not as stiff as wood 2x4's so they don't support the center of the hull as well. My double has an aluminum rail that runs along the bottom of the bunks for extra support, & I was thinking of doing something similar on my single trailers.

I had the same issue as PR...noticed the hull was wearing more near the bunk supports, which is why I thought adding something to stiffen them would support the hull more evenly. I also ended up using a flapper wheel the round off the back of the bunks after the corner put a nice scratch while unloading my GPR from a shallow ramp.

+1
    With two double ShoreLand'r trailers, over 350 hours on the RXT's, and now the FZ's, I have never used any of these products. The only thing we had a problem with was the wooden bunks on the trailers all cracked after only 3 years! I had to remove the carpet and replace all the wood.

I called my local ShoreLand'r rep to complain about it, and he told me they rot and crack because they are not allowed to use pressure treated wood on their products because of the dumbazz EPA or something...

+1
    I guess it's a matter of how your launches are. If you only go to one or more places that have good ramps, that is ramps that you can actually get the trailer underwater, it probably doesn't matter what you have on the bunks.

There are many different places that I launch out of, one which is a "beach" launch, and at low tide it is impossible to get the trailer under water at all. You would have the vehicle underwater before the bunks. Best you can do is usually 1 or 2 inches above water. This is the scenario where you really need something slippery on your bunks so you don't damage the ski too much. This is the main reason for needing to do something for the bunks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information