Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How is this impeller clearance?

I had another thread about my serious cavitation issues, and was told to check my impeller clearance with a feeler gauge. I do not have one, but can anyone tell if it is bad from these pics? Seems like a lot of light is getting through to me. One shot is with a flash light at the other end, the other is just sunlight coming through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-03-23_18-03-23_387.jpg 
Views:	1839 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	233336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-03-23_18-03-42_345.jpg 
Views:	1304 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	233338  

Im not 100% sure but I think that is a bit much... Thats about how mine looks too..lol

+1
    If you can stick a knife blade between the edge of the prop blade and the wear ring its too much clearance. from the pics. it looks like a lot of clearance but i cant tell i might be seeing light reflecting off the wearing. just remember the less clearance you have between the wear ring and the prop blade without them touching the more efficient your pump will perform.

Thanks. I will try the knife blade test. If so this would require a new wear ring or impeller or both? Would it be better to put money towards other mods such as holeshot, intake grate, etc? Right now it is bone stock.

+1
    from the picture It looks like you got way too much prop/wear ring clearance .014-.020 thousands inch is the specfication any more than .025 thousands inch max and you speed and accleration will suffer real bad. Tommy Jordan

+1
    There are so many mods you can put on that ski. with out spending a lot of money definitely seal the pump wile your replacing the wear ring and prop if it needs it. my daughter is running a stock 1300 and i went with a dynafly 14/20 and solid stainless steel wear ring it performs pretty nice. the ride plate is a must and intake grate that would be a good start. if you order all these parts as a package you can save a little cash most of the time.

Thanks. From what i am seeing, the impeller does not look bad at all. It has 57 hours on it. Is it normal to just replace the wear ring and not the impeller?

Thanks.

+1
    To be for sure you need to pull the pump and remove the wear ring to inspect them. if there is too much clearance it would be best to replace both items. if you just replace the wear ring then find out the prop is bad you just wast time. you need to seal the pump if not already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    from the picture It looks like you got way too much prop/wear ring clearance .014-.020 thousands inch is the specfication any more than .025 thousands inch max and you speed and accleration will suffer real bad. Tommy Jordan
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post
    Thanks. From what i am seeing, the impeller does not look bad at all. It has 57 hours on it. Is it normal to just replace the wear ring and not the impeller?

Thanks.
    The OEM wear ring should last hundred+ hours easily under normal use and proper maintenance...
    yes, the ring could get swollen if not washed properly and left in salt water for an extended period of time, but I don`t think this is the case here with a 2006 ski with 57 hours on it.
    You didn`t say if there was any noise coming from the pump area bc if the impeller were scrubbing a raised area it would most likely sound. and riding it that way would def wear the prop edges down.
    If you don`t want to remove the pump, you need to get the proper tool, feeler gauge, to measure it so there are no guess`s and doubts.
    Is that the stock prop? was this pump ever removed before? at this point you are only guessing what the problem is until further inspection. And now would be a good time to seal the shoe and do the customary safety items. also check the grease in the pump and the bearings...
    Why is the end of the siphon tube kinked?

seadoos that have the plastic liners have the wear ring replaced when worn and which usually saves the impeller from damage. Yamaha has a stainless liner...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    +1

The OEM wear ring should last hundred+ hours easily under normal use and proper maintenance...
    yes, the ring could get swollen if not washed properly and left in salt water for an extended period of time, but I don`t think this is the case here with a 2006 ski with 57 hours on it.
    You didn`t say if there was any noise coming from the pump area bc if the impeller were scrubbing a raised area it would most likely sound. and riding it that way would def wear the prop edges down.
    If you don`t want to remove the pump, you need to get the proper tool, feeler gauge, to measure it so there are no guess`s and doubts.
    Is that the stock prop? was this pump ever removed before? at this point you are only guessing what the problem is until further inspection. And now would be a good time to seal the shoe and do the customary safety items. also check the grease in the pump and the bearings...
    Why is the end of the siphon tube kinked?

seadoos that have the plastic liners have the wear ring replaced when worn and which usually saves the impeller from damage. Yamaha has a stainless liner...
    Thank you for this information. I just bought this ski, so I really do not know that much about its history. I do know it has not been in salt water, but it has been in Lake Michigan. I am not sure why the siphon tube is kinked. Didn't even know what that was. Is this an issue? Yes it is the stock prop. No I do not hear noise. Just watching stock gp1300r's on youtube, I can definitely tell mine is much slower off the line than theirs. The PPK is in my future, but I figured there has to be more to my cavitation.

Where can I get a feeler gauge?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information