Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

My dream turned into a nightmare!

Ive been working nightshift this week. Its my 7th one in a row(my schedule at work is kinda wierd) and today i figured i would get some riding before i went in. It was a great day. For Portland anyways Got out into the Willamette river and i gotta say, it was awesome. Totally glass out there so i decided to open her up. Got to 67 on the inacurate speedo. And this thing cuts hard and crisp! I was loving life and i was in a dream!

About 45 minutes into riding around.... dunk dunk dunk... cough cough... DEAD!

Oh crap! I attempt to get it going after making sure there was no warning light or anything. It starts up no problem but sputters and dies. Hmmm... WTF? There is only like 2.5 hours on this thing. Seriously WTF?

I am at the mercy of the current so i pull out my collapse-able paddle to have handy as i see that i am being taken over to the shore and its all rock. I make a call to the dealer i bought it from... cant get ahold of him... Call the wife and let her know what was happening.

I make my way passed the rock and find a small stretch of sandy beach. I get it up on the shore and tie off to a rock. Ugh... Im the only one on the river it seems. I try to start it but the same thing... Sputters and dies...

As part of my job, i am a first responder to any enviromental issues on the local rivers. So we have a 'spill boat'. I get ahold of the guys at work and one comes and gets me. Thank you boss for being waaaaaay cool. We tow it to the boat launch(about 6 miles) and i finally make it to work...whew!!

I get ahold of the dealer and am taking it in tomorrow for them to get it going. He says everything is covered and i make sure and tell him that "I am NOT paying a dime for anything" He says no problem.

So im good and all but what a day! Now i have an $11,000 piece of **** that is useless at the moment.

Anyways, i had to rant. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Especially on a brand new ski?

wow X!!! Glad your in that position to call up the spill boat and hitch a ride. Glad that your also safe and sound!, sorry to hear about this. let us know when ya find out... good luck...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    wow X!!! Glad your in that position to call up the spill boat and hitch a ride. Glad that your also safe and sound!, sorry to hear about this. let us know when ya find out... good luck...
    Thanks man! Yea, i will keep ya posted on what they found out. I also wanted to ask something else now that i am thinking about it.

When i remove the rear seat and pull up the storage comp. I look down to the bottom of the hull and i see a tiny bit of water in there. Just in the lowest recesses. I noticed this the first time i took it out a couple of weeks ago and again today when i was searching around.

Is this normal? Its so low in there that it does not drain out and the bilge pump obviously doesnt even touch it. Even going up a wicked hill coming out of the boat launch area. I gun the truck to throw out any water while going up the hill, but its still in there. Last time, i took a towel and soaked it all up before putting her in the garage.

Thoughts?

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Hello X,

If you get a chance, check the hose from the waterbox to the resonator under your rear storage bucket. The clamp on mine was loose, and the pressure from running part to WOT can blow that hose off the waterbox. Once that happens, the exhaust vents into the engine compartment and you are SOL. If you remove the seats, the motor will run again (the fresh air dilutes the exhaust fumes). I had this happen on Lake Washington about 40 minutes into my break in ride. Same exact symptoms. I pulled my seats off to take a look around, and it would run until I put them back on to take off; then it would die again. Towed it all the way back to the truck and figured it out on the trailer. Thankfully I was riding with my brother.......

I hope it's something simple like a hose clamp.

Best of luck!
    Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post
    Hello X,

If you get a chance, check the hose from the waterbox to the resonator under your rear storage bucket. The clamp on mine was loose, and the pressure from running part to WOT can blow that hose off the waterbox. Once that happens, the exhaust vents into the engine compartment and you are SOL. If you remove the seats, the motor will run again (the fresh air dilutes the exhaust fumes). I had this happen on Lake Washington about 40 minutes into my break in ride. Same exact symptoms. I pulled my seats off to take a look around, and it would run until I put them back on to take off; then it would die again. Towed it all the way back to the truck and figured it out on the trailer. Thankfully I was riding with my brother.......

I hope it's something simple like a hose clamp.

Best of luck!
    Sean
    Well.... got a bunch of my stuff done here at work so i had a chance to go out and check the 'runner. (ended up bringing it to work after i was saved by my coworker earlier cause i didnt have time to take it home)

Anyways, i looked at all the connections in the exaust system that i could get to and everything is nice and tight as far as i can tell. So i figured i would try it and see... Starts up and runs fine! Ugh!! Runs real strong. So when i take it in tomorrow i will explain that, BUT tell them to figure out what happened and fix it.

Man, this sucks...

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry to hear about your experience. The water is normal, I always have a bit in the back, not enough to drain out.

+1
    I had a similar problem on my sho after 6 hrs. I was crusing along, all of a sudden it sputtered and died. It would start again run like sh*t then die again. I pulled it from the water and it would run fine on the hose. Back in the water and it died again. Brought it to the dealer and it ended up being a loose clamp on the waterbox. So if yours runs good on the hose, i would definately check everything around there again.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Have you heard anything back from the dealer yet?

+1
    Well, i talked to the dealer this morning and they are clueless! UGH!! They are going to throw injectorsat it on tuesday when they come in. I told him that they NEED to simulate what its like on the water or just take the thing out and ride it for an hour or two. He said they plan on doing that. But i am about to make the first payment andthe thing is in the shop!!
    It is running just fine for them and it never threw any codes.

Isnt there some kind of lemon law that will say that if they cant fix it in a certain amount of time then i get my money back? I mean, what are my options here? Do i just wait around till they finally get it going? All the while im paying for this thing....
    Can i demand my money back at all? Or am i just screwed here?

Hmmmm? I think i am just a bit frustrated, but who can blame me? I just a bunch of money for this thing and cant ride. This sucks!

Please, any thoughts are appreciated... Thanks for your time

+1
    My RXT died two times like that; just running perfect then all the sudden a dead ski. The first time it was a loose battery cable (fixed it on the water). The second time really scared me; I thought it dropped a valve and took it to the dealer. Turned out to be nothing more than a fuse, cost almost nothing to fix. Try and be patient, you will figure it out and I suspect it's something really simple. Fresh set of plugs and some fresh fuel might be a good idea just for starters, you never know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information