1999 Polaris SLTX Red Light Flashing Problem....

I have a 1999 Polaris SLTX with a completly rebuilt engine and brand new carbs,and when I went out riding this weekend my son had the throttle all the way engaged for 10 minutes and the red light was flashing on the instrament cluster and it shut off...couldnt start it for about 10 minutes,now it starts up and runs fine but every once in a while the red light will flash and when I engage the throttle it acts like there is no power.....Ive changed the oil and gas in it and it seems to run fine but like I said sometimes the red light will flash and it feels like there is no power.....Does the red light mean its over heating or other problems????any help will be appreciated....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First, welcome to the hulk.

The red light blinking is an indicator that something is wrong. Usually displaying a message on the MFD screen:

Low fuel

Low oil

Overheat

Low power (charging system problems)

Any of these will trip the "limp mode" on the ski and limit your RPM to 4200.

What's the message being displayed when the light flashes????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    I have a 1999 Polaris SLTX with a completly rebuilt engine and brand new carbs,

... when I went out riding this weekend my son had the throttle all the way engaged for 10 minutes and the red light was flashing on the instrument cluster and it shut off...

couldn't start it for about 10 minutes,

now it starts up and runs fine but every once in a while the red light will flash and when I engage the throttle it acts like there is no power..

...I've changed the oil and gas in it and it seems to run fine but like I said sometimes the red light will flash and it feels like there is no power.....Does the red light mean its over heating or other problems?....
    Welcome to the Hulk

How long was the red lamp flashing for before the engine shut down?

As xlint said, the red lamp means something needs attention. The display should should show a message indicating what the MFD thinks is the problem.

When it would not restart, what did it do when you pressed Start? Did the engine crank without ignition, or did it not even crank over?

Newly rebuilt engine
    Has this engine been broken in using the recommended break-in procedure?
    How many running hours on the engine since it was rebuilt?

Who did the engine re-installation?

Have you checked that all the small oil hoses are still in place and not leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    First, welcome to the hulk.

The red light blinking is an indicator that something is wrong. Usually displaying a message on the MFD screen:

Low fuel

Low oil

Overheat

Low power (charging system problems)

Any of these will trip the "limp mode" on the ski and limit your RPM to 4200.

What's the message being displayed when the light flashes????
    I didnt look at the display screen just noticed the red light flashing and it shut off.....is it supposed to display what is exaclty wrong with it???Kawasaki Watersports rebuilt it and it was running perfect until my son decided to be go speed racer on the water and thats when it happened.........

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

How long was the red lamp flashing for before the engine shut down?

As xlint said, the red lamp means something needs attention. The display should should show a message indicating what the MFD thinks is the problem.

When it would not restart, what did it do when you pressed Start? Did the engine crank without ignition, or did it not even crank over?

Newly rebuilt engine
    Has this engine been broken in using the recommended break-in procedure?
    How many running hours on the engine since it was rebuilt?

Who did the engine re-installation?

Have you checked that all the small oil hoses are still in place and not leaking?
    Thax for the welcome...........Kawasaki Watersports rebuilt the engine and installed it,they broke it in before I recieved it(huge stationary water tank in the back of the service department) the polaris only has 11 hours since it was rebuilt...........when it first happened,the engine cranked but did not start until 10 minutes later then it rode fine........now it rides perfect but like I mentioned the red light flashes every once in a while and it feels like there is no power when the throttle is engaged....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    ...is it supposed to display what is exactly wrong with it?

... the red light flashes every once in a while and it feels like there is no power when the throttle is engaged....
    The MFD display always shows a message when it is flashing the red lamp. The red lamp gets your attention, and the message tells you what the MFD thinks the problem is.

There are only a few things the MFD can flash and warn about;
    HOT = engine/exhaust temperature sensor is signaling overheat
    Low Fuel = means fuel level is below 1/4 tank
    Low Oil = Oil level is at or below 1/4 tank

LoPwr = electrical system voltage is very low. Charging system has failed or some other electrical problem exists

Fuel level and oil level you can check by eye - just look at the tanks.

HOT is the most worrisome warning. If it was warning about a HOT engine and nothing was done to correct the problem while continuing to run the engine, the engine could have been damaged by the overheat.

These PWC engines produce a lot of power for their size - over 100HP for your SLTX. They also produce a lot of heat. If the cooling system has a problem the engine can rapidly rise in temperature.

Sometimes the MFD warning is false, and there is no actual problem. In those cases typically a fuel/oil/heat sensor has gone bad or a wire has frayed or shorted. In your case the unexpected engine shut down and refusal to restart suggest there is an actual problem.

Depending on the model and year, some of the MFI warnings also trigger what is known as 'limp mode'. In limp mode the engine is limited to roughly 3500RPM. If you apply throttle for more power while limp mode is active the ignition system rapidly pulses the ignition/spark system on and off, resulting in a characteristic rough/pulsing engine sound. The tachometer display will show the RPM staying around 3500RPM (give or take).

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The MFD display always shows a message when it is flashing the red lamp. The red lamp gets your attention, and the message tells you what the MFD thinks the problem is.

There are only a few things the MFD can flash and warn about;
    HOT = engine/exhaust temperature sensor is signaling overheat
    Low Fuel = means fuel level is below 1/4 tank
    Low Oil = Oil level is at or below 1/4 tank

LoPwr = electrical system voltage is very low. Charging system has failed or some other electrical problem exists

Fuel level and oil level you can check by eye - just look at the tanks.

HOT is the most worrisome warning. If it was warning about a HOT engine and nothing was done to correct the problem while continuing to run the engine, the engine could have been damaged by the overheat.

These PWC engines produce a lot of power for their size - over 100HP for your SLTX. They also produce a lot of heat. If the cooling system has a problem the engine can rapidly rise in temperature.

Sometimes the MFD warning is false, and there is no actual problem. In those cases typically a fuel/oil/heat sensor has gone bad or a wire has frayed or shorted. In your case the unexpected engine shut down and refusal to restart suggest there is an actual problem.

Depending on the model and year, some of the MFI warnings also trigger what is known as 'limp mode'. In limp mode the engine is limited to roughly 3500RPM. If you apply throttle for more power while limp mode is active the ignition system rapidly pulses the ignition/spark system on and off, resulting in a characteristic rough/pulsing engine sound. The tachometer display will show the RPM staying around 3500RPM (give or take).
    I just ended up dropping it off at kawasaki watersports this morning,I hope its not something major after dropping $3600 into a rebuilt engine brand new carbs and all lines replaced....

Thread Information