Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How to STOP your FZS dead in the water!

Try sucking up about 1 or 2 square yards of this stuff into your intake grate...

WTH is it?
    I don't know, some kind of really tough fabric; but there was a BUNCH OF IT in there. Who knows how long this was drifting around in the lake. The photo only shows about 1/2 of it. I left my flip flops in the photo so you could see the volume of it.

Looks like nylon upholstery fabric or something; took a while to limp back to the dock, plus about an hour with a sharp knife to cut all this crap off the shaft; I guess it was wrapped around tight around there about 25 times... fortunately my teenage daughter did most of the cutting, I probably would have ran out of patience and cut my hand off or something.

Last edited by YoYamma; 04-17-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Try sucking up about 1 or 2 square yards of this stuff into your intake grate...

WTH is it?
    I don't know, some kind of really tough fabric; but there was a BUNCH OF IT in there. Who knows how long this was drifting around in the lake. The photo only shows about 1/2 of it. I left my flip flops in the photo so you could see the volume of it.

Looks like nylon upholstery fabric or something; took a while to limp back to the dock, plus about an hour with a sharp knife to cut all this crap off the shaft; I guess it was wrapped around tight around there about 25 times... fortunately my teenage daughter did most of the cutting, I probably would have ran out of patience and cut my hand off or something.

holy cow!!! how in hell did all that get pulled into the grate and prop???
    wow, so much for a good ride this morning huh!?
    sorry to see that Yoyo, glad you got it all out tho, and damage from it?

+1
    Dang Andy that was fast...
    I was just telling you about this on the other thread...

I don't know man, we were going under a bridge at no-wake speed and my daughter was riding that ski... the ski runs great now, but boy was she pissed off!

Dang Andy that was fast...
    I was just telling you about this on the other thread...

I don't know man, we were going under a bridge at no-wake speed and my daughter was riding that ski... the ski runs great now, but boy was she pissed off!

well maybe this story will make ya feel a bit better:

5 of us were out riding, and we stopped so a few could grab a smoke. The 2 GF`s of my buds weren`t paying attention to the current while smoking and drifted into the shallows with tons of eel grass...
    The BF of the one who was deep in the weeds, cruised over to toss her a line, he was on his kawiwhale250. He tossed her the rope, she missed, the rope went under his ski and immediately it disappeared., yup you guessed it, the rope got sucked into his ski while idling until it stalled the engine...
    at this point we jump in the water and walk thru the muk to get her machine which is now in 10" of water,lol,,, now we use her ski to tow the kawi about 1/2 mile to where we can roll her over and cut out the rope... Luckily, some cool neighbors beside one of our local ramps let us use their waterfront apron so we could be in shallow water and roll the Cowi on it`s side... soooo we used a long fillet knife to cut out the rope. My friend was so mad he didn`t care about the seats being water logged or the ski half flooding. there was a growing number of spectators, fisherman, and neighbors collecting around the attraction we finally got underway and enjoyed the rest of the day... he never did let her forget about that ride...

a year later, I`m over his house while he is removing the front storage cover and battery cover, to my surprise the battery had fuzz growing all over the top of it. I asked, he man, didn`t you remove the battery or drain out the water from when that sucked roped incident happened? he replied nope, Im doing it now

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    That looks like landscape fabric. Glad to hear there was no damage.
    Ive sucked up a tow rope and some how a gallon ziploc bag.

+1
    Andy that's a great story about the rope!
    I guess it's a small miracle we have never got a rope sucked up in our skis.

However one time I did get a black dock line wrapped around the prop on our boat's outboard motor, and we just sat there on the lake for about 15 minutes trying to figure out why the motor was starting but we couldn't go anywhere...

I finally trimmed the motor up out of the water and saw the stupid @&%$ black rope, while everybody on shore started laughing at me...

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    That looks like landscape fabric. Glad to hear there was no damage. Ive sucked up a tow rope and some how a gallon ziploc bag.
    Chad, you're right; it does sorta look like landscape fabric, but I don't think that's what it is. I have some landscape fabric in one of my flower beds but this looks like the upholstery backing off of a sofa or maybe a big boat seat on a pontoon or something?

I don't know; but it's TOUGH material; you can't tear it by hand, the only thing that worked was a sharp knife. We have got little cypress wood chips jammed in between the impeller and wear rings before and they can be a pain; but this was a LOT worse; it was wrapped round and round the shaft so tight we couldn't budge it by hand.

I'll tell you one thing, if you ride down a long river or away from support and you inhale something like this, you would be screwed if you didn't have a big long knife and the tools to remove the intake grate in your ski, and that's a fact!

+1
    I had something similar happen on my rxp.... turned out I sucked up a yamalog..
    hahahahaha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    I had something similar happen on my rxp.... turned out I sucked up a yamalog..
    hahahahaha

Andy that's a great story about the rope!
    I guess it's a small miracle we have never got a rope sucked up in our skis.

However one time I did get a black dock line wrapped around the prop on our boat's outboard motor, and we just sat there on the lake for about 15 minutes trying to figure out why the motor was starting but we couldn't go anywhere...

I finally trimmed the motor up out of the water and saw the stupid @&%$ black rope, while everybody on shore started laughing at me...
    hahahahahaha, very entertaining us boaters are!

here`s another.
    My Good buddy and co worker were both off for a few weeks,,, so he asks me to help him recommission his boat that sat for 5 years. We head to MD, OC and of course the tires are flat and dry rotted and trailer light not operating correctly, after dealing with that we head to NJ, fast forward> I find that the boat took on water last time out from his son using it and not saying anything, soooo on go new cables, battery, starter, tune up, risers, couplers, etc etc and getting ready to refire the boat. he closes the garage door that is directly behind the boat, we fire up and boom is kicks right off and immediately blackens the white overhead door with crap that was dormant in the exhaust...,
    ok, we get a large piece of cardboard for that next fire up...
    fast forward> on to the trailer> new axle hubs, tires and wheels and winch assy. I get called to work right before the hubs, wheels and winch arrive so my buddy has to install these remaining items... the time comes for the maiden voyage, hes ready and assures me all is a go, trailer is done and all set, he`s shows up in front of my house with boat in tow and we are headed to the state marina about 12 miles away which includes thru town, highway and back thru town, I ask repeatedly everything secure and he assures me all is fine. Now we are backing down the ramp and my buddy can not back a boat down, after several tries he has every ones attention at the dock/ramp and they are all noticing his back up skills I asked if he wanted to get out and let me do it and he refused, he straightened out the truck gunned it in reverse and about halfway down the concrete ramp we here BABOOM!!! hahahahahahahahhaha, The Maxxim Eddie Bauer edition 19 foot boat flys off the trailer and slams onto the concrete ramp!!!
    Immediately people that weren`t already there come running after they here the boom, Im laughing hysterically and his face is sooo RED with embarrassment...

He never locked the winch nor hooked the safety chain to the bow eye and no gunwall or rear tie downs, man I knew I should have looked myself, but this guy is a experienced boater

a few good people jumped off the dock and helped me point the bow upwards so we could get the boat started back on the trailer, using the truck in reverse to push the boat back on we proceed, whew!!!
    finally we launch the boat and continue on with our test ride...
    all goes well, except on the way home my Friend who is a good samaritan see a distressed boat and changes course to see whats up. This stopped boater had just purchased a brand new Baja and with family leaves the marina with not enough fuel and runs out before he can get back to the dock... soooo my buddy toss`s him a line and while we tow the guy we hit something submerged (a large rock in the delaware while in the shallows retrieving that doods boat) and I see a blade from the brand new prop fly out of the water and our boat starts to shudder immediately,

well we still get the guy to a fuel dock about another mile down river, the guy feels bad and try`s to give us a few bucks and my friend does not accept it and we head in ourselves.

sooo, Teddy dropped the boat on the ramp and injured the skeg, made the test trip successfully but killed a brand new prop towing a brand new boat that ran out of fuel in...

now that was a day to remember...

sorry for the off topic yoyo

+1
    that does look like the stuff they line gardens with its tough as old boots like a yamaha.... maybe its the left over of a sea doo which fell apart.. ha ha .BOOM,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information