Just got 1993 Polaris 750

Bought a polaris 750 two days ago, and have been reading forum, lots and lots of very useful info. I got mine for 50 bucks and naturally it needs work. The story I was told by the guy I bought it from was that when launching the ski he managed (dont ask me how) to sink it. Well, the engine is frozen. I started tearing it apart to see if I can manage to rebuild the engine. Taking it apart is like a puzzle but its fun, the magneto piston does not have a hole through however piston in the center is missing a small chunk. I have not accessed the carbs just yet. What I want to do is get down to the cranckshaft and see if its damaged/rusted and so on. Any tips or things I should know, is it even possible to rebuild a motor on a drowned ski, would you say that crankshaft is pooped at this point?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Here's a start for you to read up.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

Get that engine apart, assess the damage and decide if it's worth it to rebuild. A cheaper option may be to replace the engine outright if it's that far gone.

FYI: sinking a ski at the ramps is quite a common thing. First timers, or first time out at the beginning of a season people tend to forget about the drain plug. They'll launch the ski, drive the truck to a parking spot, get on it and ride until they notice it's sitting low in the water. By that time it's really full of water and they start back to the ramps. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
    ... when launching the ski he managed ... to sink it. ... the engine is frozen.

... is it even possible to rebuild a motor on a drowned ski, would you say that crankshaft is pooped at this point?
    Welcome to the Hulk

If it isn't rusted, I would be VERY surprised.

Yes, you can rebuild a rusted/sunk engine. The crank shaft would need to be rebuilt by a machine shop since it requires special tools and knowledge. Everything else on the engine can be repaired/replaced/rebuilt with hand tools.

The big question is whether it makes sense. What condition is the rest of the machine in?

How much money/time/effort are you willing to invest in it?

Well, the rest seems to be fine, I do not know of exact condition of CDI but it seems like its still operational although when I connected the battery fuel gauge did not function not sure if the ski has to be running in order for it to come on, hull is in nearly perfect condition seat is a faded a bit but nothing major though. I have got plenty of time on the weekend, weather sucks so I cant take my other ski out and nothing left to do but mess around with the project ski, and I am looking to stay within 500 bucks to get it going, I dont think it will be worth spending more than that. Has anyone done a swap for a different engine, but than I figure there will be a lot of modification to be made. It just seems like a really nice ski and I dont want to crap it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the engine is rusted (which seems likely) then you may find it cheaper to find a running replacement engine, OR part out the ski and put the money towards another running machine.

There are a lot of Fuji 750 engines around - the trick is to find one in good condition.

Just getting the crank shaft rebuilt is several hundred dollars. And there will be other parts needed, such as piston rings, cab rebuild kits, and so on.

Tear it down so you know what you have, and go from there.

Double check the model year code on the HIN plate. Are the last two digits 93?

Thanks for advise!!!

Ill check on the HIN in the morning, but when I was tearing it apart the manufacturing day on the fuel tank was 93 but Ill double check. Yeah, spend sleepless hours looking for a replacement engine . Well Ill continue the demolition tomorrow.

Thread Information