Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

SLX MFD Showing All 88's ??

I have a 2000 Slx, when i got it the mfd didn't work so I a 8 pin and connector and swapped out the pins and pluged in and it worked perfect. Last week i was going through the ski and rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the tempo "goo" lines. When I hooked the battery up to test to make sure i didn't put something back together wrong it fired up and sounded great, only problem now is the mfd which i just got working is now showing all 8's on the number sections and cant seem to figure out why.

Anybody know what the cause of this could be? Searched through previous threads and the mfd page and couldn't find the cause for this, All wires are correct and was working fine previous to unhooking the battery for the carb and fuel line work. Battery is fully charged also. Possible Ive missed something or shorted something in the mfd when unhooking battery?

Thanks for any advice ahead of time, and thanks to all the GH members that have posted all the great tech and how to's previously , i've refered to them numerous times! Lov'n the Search Button

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug the MFD connector from behind the MFD, wait more than 10 minutes, then plug it back in.

If the battery cable connections 'bounced' while being connected and tightened, it can cause to MFD to get confused.
    Last edited by K447; 04-17-2011 at 10:51 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

+1

I have one that is doing that. I was in the '95 SLX that I just sold. I swapped in a known good one before I sold it...still trying to troubleshoot this one.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Just redid one tonight. Went great. Took about 45 mins to finish. (faded numbers, not the dreaded 8888's)

Cut at the green arrow for sure.....

Have you tried the reset procedure?

+1
    I tried unhooking the connector on the back for a while and it still showed 8's, also tried removing the ground to batt for a few min to reset it and that didn't work either.

I took out the mfd in my sl900 and plugged it in and it worked but showed lopr, checked batt and hooked up to charger to make sure full and the sl display shows lopr still. Replaced the other mfd that was showing 8's and it still just shows 8's. Any ideas? Possible the MFD "processor" got messed up internally when unhooked/hooked up the batt? Or is there another electrical issue i might have?

If the chip inside is messed up, is it possible to solder on a chip from a board on a 12 pin mfd? I still have the display that was on the ski when i bought it but when opened up to try to fix it was all corroded with broken wires but the chip inside and the board itself looked somewhat decent. Or would they be different and not be interchangable?

Thanks for all the help and info so far, much appreciated!

+1
    You can try doing a CALibration reset on each of those MFD. Might help with the LoPr and 888 problems, might not. Details can be found in the MFD section from my signature links.

Before calibrating make sure the battery is fully charged and is measuring proper voltage, and the charger is NOT connected.

I think the internals on the 12-pin and 8-pin oval MFD are very similar, if not exactly the same. I have not pulled apart a 12-pin MFD to compare. You can try swapping circuit boards. I would be interested to hear what you learn.

+1
    Have tried to use the cal mode and nothing happens, maybee ill go ahead and cut it open and try to swap it with the other board i have, not sure if that one works tho. Thinking it was bad because of the broken wires at the connects and corosion but not sure. Have to give it a closer look to see if anything else looks "suspect" on the old board from the 12 pin mfd before i try it.
    Ill post back what i find out about switching the boards out if i do try it.

Thanks for all the help!

+1
    No, the 12 pin board will not work in the 8 pin MFD. The connecters from the housing to the board are different.

I think I remember something about a "reset" prcedure,but it's been a long,long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information