Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 RX DI counter balancer oil fill?

hi guys can some one help i looked at the pics posted on this site and it looks like the oil fill on the 951 di has a tube on it can you fill it with this tube because it looks impossible to get to it with out pulling the motor, i just got this ski from a friend of mine it was sitting in his garage for about two years and the reason i want to check it is there is oil in the bottom of the hull and it looks like thick gear oil not two stroke oil the oil in the tank looks red the oil in the hull looks yellow also the ski is in nice condition not torn up or ragged out but the oil in the hull has me concerned there are not to many places for the oil to come from unless someone pourd it in the hull for some weird reason, any help will be great

+1
    The counter balancer use 2 strokeoil, but it is lubricated by the running of the engine. Check the oil tank, it might have cracked at one point at the seams.

Thanks Joe , I ran my hand under the oil tank and it had oil on it so I'll pull the tank on it now by the way to get the tank out does the exhaust need to be removed or will it come out the front

The 951's counter balance gears are in a sealed reservoir and use sae 30w motor oil. They are not lubricated by the running of the engine like the 787. In your case I totally agree with Joe to have checked the oil tank first.

Ron can u add oil to the counter shaft though the tube that runs to the reservoir cap

I have a p8 xp 951 and to check the oil in the counter balance shaft remove the exhaust and in just above where the crank cases joinn in the about the middle (back to front) there is an alum stud withe theb head facing upwards.

Remiove the the alum stud and check the oil. Might be wrong but it takes 35ml of oil (check that volume) there is no dipstick so the only sure way is to suck out all the oil and replace with the right volume.

From what you describe it is leaking - so was mine - at aeach end of the counterbalance there is a plastic plug sealed with an o ring. Mine was leaking at the mag end. There is no way to fix the leak without splitting the crank casaes but the leak is normallay real slow so that's why you've \noticed after 2 years stood.

I've heard of ski's run with no oil and they self destruct so best make sure it's right

Cheers,

Phil

You should not have oil at the plastic caps with o-rings. There are two seals at each end of the CB shaft that keep the oil from getting to the plastic caps. The end bearings on the shaft are sealed and there is no need for them to be lubed by the oil. The only bearing that is lubed is the center support bearing. In other words finding oil behind the caps means that the seals need to be replaced.

Since you found oil around the tank I would address this first as Joe Stang mentioned. Cracked oil tanks are very common on Seadoos. And to answer your question earlier I would say no. You need to remove the plug in order to add oil to the cavity. The tip of the plug only has a small pinhole and is just there to act as a vent.

On the Di there is a breather on the balance shaft gear cavity, the fill plug has the nipple for that.
    The rear counter weight cavity get 2 stroke oil from the oil pump to lube the air pump piston and rod bearing, it also has a drain on the bottom of the cases that goes back into the oil filler neck. Check all those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    On the Di there is a breather on the balance shaft gear cavity, the fill plug has the nipple for that.
    The rear counter weight cavity get 2 stroke oil from the oil pump to lube the air pump piston and rod bearing, it also has a drain on the bottom of the cases that goes back into the oil filler neck. Check all those lines.

True , I forgot about that.

Is the bolt holding the exhaust under the cylinders a 8 mm hex like the ones up at the manifold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information