Question about changing wear ring. '07 RXT

I'm about to replace my wear ring using the freezer method, but I'm not sure of what I'm taking off to replace it. Am I removing the 4 pump nuts and removing everything together or does the steering nozzle then prop have to come off first. Or does the prop stay with the pump and do I change the ring with the prop still in the pump?

+1
    Remove steering nozzle, jet nozzle, jet pump, impeller. Carefully cut old ring out. Have on hand before you start: new tube pump grease, impeller wrench and new o rings. A new frozen wear ring will fall into place, no beating required. Note when you reassemble the impeller, the installation torque is important as it preloads the bearings.

Oh. A lot more involved then I thought. What o rings do I need and where does the grease go. Also do j put anything on the new wear ring to hold it in

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    he is talking about the grease that goes inside where the nose cone goes, I would recommend removing the most grease possible and adding gear oil, it will lubricate your pump bearings better than grease.

Is there a step by step to doing this. I don't see
    One in the how to section.

+1
    You DO NOT need to remove the prop when replacing the wear ring UNLESS the blades are carved into the wear ring..stick the new wear ring and pump assembly into the freezer for a couple of hours and the old one SHOULD pull out and the new one SHOULD fall in..You may need a rubber mallet to help tap the new one in....When doing it like this you do not need to worry about grease,impeller torque or new O-rings..Which even if you do this the right way there is no need for new grease or O-rings...Ive changed my props a million times and he=ave yet needed to replace the o-rings...Same for the grease if you can keep debris from falling into it..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    You DO NOT need to remove the prop when replacing the wear ring UNLESS the blades are carved into the wear ring..stick the new wear ring and pump assembly into the freezer for a couple of hours and the old one SHOULD pull out and the new one SHOULD fall in..You may need a rubber mallet to help tap the new one in....When doing it like this you do not need to worry about grease,impeller torque or new O-rings..Which even if you do this the right way there is no need for new grease or O-rings...Ive changed my props a million times and he=ave yet needed to replace the o-rings...Same for the grease if you can keep debris from falling into it..
    Thanks Snoman. I didn't think I was going to have to do all that. Do I put anything on the new ring when I put it in like silicone or anything?

What do you torque the impeller back to? I thought you just put it on about as tight as you can without the help of a breaker bar??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mksmi View Post
    Thanks Snoman. I didn't think I was going to have to do all that. Do I put anything on the new ring when I put it in like silicone or anything?
    Nope just slide it into the pump and you should be good..once the ring warms up it will expand and tighten itself up in the pump..

Thread Information