Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FZ mods for low 70mph target

Hi guys,

I am looking to get into the low 70's and I was thinking of doing the following modifications. I want to stay as close to stock as I can. I ride alot in the ocean so I dont want to change the ride plate or the stock air box.

This is what I have come up with:

Riva Stock Intercooler upgrade kit $249.95
    Riva Blow off valve kit $339.00
    R&D power plenum filter for stock airbox $160.00
    R&D power core intake manifold/IC CFM kit $ 79.95

About $830 all up. I will need to get most of this done in the shop as I am no good on the spanners.

What are your thoughts. Thanks

Hi,

My advise is:
    do:
    - the intake manifold upgrade (Riva or R&D)
    - Riva power filter (you won't see much of improvement with the power plenum,so forget it)
    - Riva blow off valve
    - Intake grate (R&D or Riva) - that is a must (safety & better hook up ofshore) !!
    - I would advise you to just buy another intercooler rather than doing the intercooler upgrade

After these mods, see if you're on the limiter or not. If you are, then you'll need to pitch your impeller.

If your budget allows it, I would recommand doing all these mods + reflashing your ECU. You 'll be very happy, you stock impeller will probably work just fine

Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking to get into the low 70's and I was thinking of doing the following modifications. I want to stay as close to stock as I can. I ride alot in the ocean so I dont want to change the ride plate or the stock air box.

About $830 all up. I will need to get most of this done in the shop as I am no good on the spanners.

R&D ride plate too

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lukygomes View Post
    Hi,

My advise is:
    do:
    - the intake manifold upgrade (Riva or R&D)
    - Riva power filter (you won't see much of improvement with the power plenum,so forget it)
    - Riva blow off valve
    - Intake grate (R&D or Riva) - that is a must (safety & better hook up ofshore) !!
    - I would advise you to just buy another intercooler rather than doing the intercooler upgrade

After these mods, see if you're on the limiter or not. If you are, then you'll need to pitch your impeller.

If your budget allows it, I would recommand doing all these mods + reflashing your ECU. You 'll be very happy, you stock impeller will probably work just fine

All I did was the Manafold upgrade, and a R&D power filter, and "Jerry's Deck vent Mod, and Im seeing 70mph and on the limiter

1:Ribbon delete.

2: Riva power filter. (good kit for surf as it keeps the filter tucked up high and in the front with water sock over it, or leave the stock air box in if your worried) I never had any issues with it and I have duck dived my ski through 2 to 3mtr close out surf on numerous occasions without issue.

3: Tommy Jordans free flow exhaust mod.( I did it its good, no low drone that the riva one has which I hated in the surf and it free to do )

4: For surf, stock plate is good or worx. Don't know about the R&D or Jims plate but these are suppose to be good. The r&D is suppose to be not as good in the rough stuff or try the VX plate,FX 160 loves his. I am going to test all these in the rough stuff soon but my gut feeling is the worx is going to be the best for my style of fast rough riding keeping the ski hooked up. It will kill 2 mile hr from the stock plate apparantly but in the rough you will be faster as it keeps you planted more

5:Forget the intercooler kits, they work a little but buy the time you get it and the blow-off valve kit you might as well get the Watson intercooler as its local and is only going to cost you a few hundred more than doing the otherway with way better results.

6: Watson intercooler, comes with blow-off valve and extra heavy duty mounts that utilise all the stock mount points. This will give you way,way more cooling the boost than any stock intercooler can and also has the blow -off valve.Mate runs one with basically stock FZ and recons his throttle response and general overall ski running has never been as good since he fitted it It gives around 1-2 pd more boost as well depending on mods as it flows alot more(data from motec files . Talk to Gary Watson about it at Watson racing Lismore.
    also, some guys are getting failures with the stock intercoolers by forcing more water through these.Puts water straight into the motor which is bad. I ran a modded stock cooler for 40 hrs with no issues but have seen what happens when they fail so I have pulled it out and fitting the Waston intercooler in ATM

7: If you are on the limiter with this especially with the intercooler re-pitch to a 13/22. Should be good for 71-72 depending on ride plate choices and condtions.

8:R&D scoop grate for hook up in the surf and to stop bucking.

9: Do not get a reflashed ECU with higher rev limits if you serious about hard off-shore riding.Leave the stock ECU there, you don't need high rpm for surf rdiing and the big fast unhooks are going to give you big RPM's which is no good for reliability.When I had only the high limiter motec map loaded in my ski hammered the limiter and blew out clutches out in the surf,since I now I run a "surf map" I have lasted 35 hrs with this clutch which is good. With the motec with 2 maps loaded, 1 for off-shore mucking around with limiter set to 7800 and the other map with the high limiter for when I want to blast past everyone on the way home on flat water
    My 2 dollar donation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Hi guys,

For low 70s I would get a VX plate modded by Jim, riva air intake, RD grate, manifold upgrade, and stock exhaust mod.

The BOV will do nothing for performance and clutch life shoulnd't be a huge worry with a stage 1 ski. Also, that IC spacer just directs air over the IC core so the IC becomes less efficient after heatsoak.
    If you really want to get all the performance out of this setup you will need a new prop but pitching the stock prop will also work on a stage 1 ski.

The mods I suggested should put you at ~ 73mph

+1
    Guys thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

+1
    Gleson

I have the CFM and Riva kit just sitting there installed on the stock cooler. You can have a look at it if your down my way and decide if you want to go that way. I have used hmost of the other hardware at some point so its not a complete kit. I am kind of wishing I just waited for one of the bigger intercooler kits and didn't waste my time.

I was in the same boat as you at one point. No one here with the same ski and no know with any good advice local.

Thank god for Greenhulk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coldspace View Post
    1:Ribbon delete.
    What is this? Sorry im new to the FZ ski's

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    What is this? Sorry im new to the FZ ski's
    There is a flame arrester screen at the inlet of the manifold really close to the throttle body. It has been dubbed "the ribbon!" The ribbon delete gets rid of it.

Heres a shot of it from Jerrys build thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...s-FZR-build-up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information