Separate upper and lower halves of the hull

I have a 1996 SLT that I would like to separate the upper and lower halves of the hull. How does one release the "glue" that holds them together? Thanks.
    Mike

+1
    I've never heard of that being done before. The epoxy is a factory seal I wouldn't mess with it. Why would you want to separate them?

My hull is cracked and I have another hull but the topside is all marred up. I thought I could make 1 out of 2.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by planiack View Post
    I have a 1996 SLT that I would like to separate the upper and lower halves of the hull. How does one release the "glue" that holds them together? Thanks.
    Mike
    It is possible, although it is not easy. Some of the guys on the other forums who have done heavy modifications to various hulls have posted about how they got them apart.

You would need to do some reading and searching to find the best approach. Since you don't care about saving the 'bad' halves, you may be able to use circular or reciprocating saws (sawzall) to cut along the hull near (but not right at) the joint. Once you have removed the big pieces then you can work at removing the remaining 'ring' of hull material and glue.

You may find that applying heat (heat gun) helps soften the glue, or you may have better luck just chipping away at the glue while it is cold/brittle.

You also need to find out what type of glue will be needed to put the two 'good' halves back together. The glued seam provides much of the strength and stiffness of the assembled hull, so it is critical that the glue bonds really well. And the glue has to withstand temperature swings and exposure to sun, weather, etc.

Thread Information