Thread: New PWC owner

New PWC owner

I just became an owner of a 2002 Polaris Virage Txi. I am a beginner when it comes to PWC so i can use all the help i can get from you guys/gals. I dont know anything about my pwc other than it has 70 hrs and is running great. My sister has had it sitting around and i took it off her hands.

I am planning on getting rid of the original copper color and repainting it with a silver to match my truck. It has scratches all over the front of it and figured it would be easier to paint. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to do this, paint shop or personal? How do you disassemble the plastic parts to paint them if i do decide to do the paint job myself?

I look forward to getting on the lake this weekend or next. Thanks in advance for the help.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrider View Post
    ... I look forward to getting on the lake this weekend or next...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Even though it was running well, it is still a good idea to spend some time checking things over. If you don't find anything wrong, great. If you do find issues, it will have been well worth your while to find and fix the problem before you get to the water.

What you want to avoid is potentially expensive or dangerous failures while on the water. You cannot just walk back if it fails, and it can be a long slow paddle to the shore. You have a collapsible paddle, yes?

Your engine is a Ficht fuel injected 2-stroke. Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed, and that they are fresh. The Ficht engines are picky about spark plugs.

Have a look at my signature links for more info.

I appreciate the advice. My sister ran it a couple of weeks ago and according to her it was running fine but then again she knows just as much as i do. I am eager to get her on the water but will spend this week looking her over and seeing if there are any issues. i have ridden this type of ski before but this is my first time owning one. I'll def be on here alot searching and asking questions.

I am a new ski owner as well and can tell you this is the best forum for Polaris.
    The members on this forum are very knowledgeable and know these skis in and out.
    They are also friendly, unlike some forums where people just like to tell you how ignorant you are about something.

Welcome to the Hulk.

Congrats on the ski....they are lots of fun, when they are running properly...

I would second the following the links suggestions above....they can save you lots of time and expense in the future.

Welcome to the Hulk.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Lots of painting threads are on here already.

Please use the search button to find some helpful info. Also take a look in the tyech section for alot of great info.

I have done a search but cannot find a clear answer. What oil are you running in your Polaris Virage Txi. My sis gave me a container of Yamalube 2 cycle engine oil. Do you recommend i continue using this or should i use something better? If so what oil do you recommend?

My Polaris is currently in the shop getting a new paint job. Will post pics up once i get it back next week,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrider View Post
    ... My sis gave me a container of Yamalube 2 cycle engine oil. Do you recommend i continue using this or should i use something better?

If so what oil do you recommend?
    I expect that Yamalube oil is fine to continue using.

Which version of Yamalube is it?

There are plenty of 'which oil?' threads already, so I don't want to start another. I happen to use Amsoil HP Injector synthetic oil. The key is to select an oil with quality and compatibility with your intended use. Price is less important than oil quality.

For example, recreational use with periods of non-use between rides could direct you towards a different oil compared to racing the PWC, with frequent attention to engine condition and residue accumulation.

Price is not really a concern, what i really care about is that the oil i use is a good quality oil.

The Yamalube oil is 1 2 cycle , 2-W.

If i do decide to go synthetic, should i wait til oil level gets oil and start using the synthetic? Will i have a problem if i mix the 2?

Thread Information