Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Should I buy a 96 SLX 785 Pro

Ok everyone,

The ski has a blown top end but still runs, the guy said it was like 40 40 120, is it worth it to buy and rebuild? What kinda cost and maintance am I looking on a 785 Pro, I know the tripple pipes have issues?

I can get it and an 06 Yamaha FXHO and a trailer for 6500, wondering if I should leave the Pro or get it and sell my R-12x....

+1
    They didn't make the pro in 96, it's prob a 97? The 97's had some problems with the hull as well so you would need to check that out. If it just needs a top end you could bring it back to life for little money, if the fxho comes with it for that price then you can assume the pro is almost a free ski which is always worthwhile

+1
    98 Pro my bad, so I should jump on both of them?

I can't find any info on top end rebuilds for the 785

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha FXHO, Honda R-12, and Polaris Pro 785... Each is very different from the others!

What would the market value be of the Yamaha and the trailer? That would tell us how much the seller is asking for the Polaris.

The Pro 785 was not made in 1996. First year was 1997. Check the last two HIN digits for the model year. Check the Yamaha HIN too.

The Pro 785 was a race ready PWC, right from the showroom floor. It is very quick, and hangs in there on turns. Once you get the engine rebuilt and the carbs cleaned/rebuilt/tuned (along with whatever else may need fixing), it is a fun ride. Effectively has two throttle levels; idle, a little faster than idle, and gone.

Any brand PWC that is a decade or more old will need attention and work to make it reliable. How much it might cost partially depends on how much of the work you will be doing yourself.

How long has it been sitting? Was it fogged or winterized?

+1
    Don't know... waiting on the bank to call me with a go or no go... then I'll have to decide what I'm getting rid of and what I'm keeping, I really want the FXHO for a family ski... and I know they are reliable, I'm almost thinking about not getting the 98 PRO, just because we JUST bought a 95 SLX, I think it'd be wise to keep my Honda as I'm the original owner and I know it's a good ski... I think I'd sell my X2 to help offset the cost of the FX, just gotta convince the wife...

+1
    Owning something exotic such as a 785 pro will always require some level of wrenching to keep your machine in order. The 06 Yamaha sounds cheap on it's own. If it comes on a double trailer you will probably need the trailer to carry 2 skis as you already have an SLX. You could either revive the 785, part it out or put it on your single trailer and sell as a whole to recoup your money.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Ok everyone,

The ski has a blown top end but still runs, the guy said it was like 40 40 120, is it worth it to buy and rebuild? What kinda cost and maintance am I looking on a 785 Pro, I know the tripple pipes have issues?

I can get it and an 06 Yamaha FXHO and a trailer for 6500, wondering if I should leave the Pro or get it and sell my R-12x....
    Jeez dude, you just picked up the SLX on Friday and you already caught the bug.

I'd be skeptical of that Pro only needing a top end. What makes him think that's all it needs? If it's just a rering, it may not be that bad, but if you have to bore then you'll need to have the cylinder replated. It could add up fast.

+1
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'm a little concerned by the top end, I know the 785 is more on the exotic side... so the guy is going to take 5500 for the FXHO and the double trailer!!!! I'm pumped, i know it's a great ski and it sips gas and I can use it to pull! I'm worried the lake is going to be super low this summer so no boat action... but should be able to get the ski's in.

Offer him anouther $4 or 500 for the pro....it'll be worth more than that in parts if it turns out to be trashed.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds as if your mind is made up. May not be a bad idea to pass on it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ski....

Not a great family ski though. Too powerful for the kids, and extremely thirsty with the gas.

They are very pricey when it comes to repair. As mentioned, if it's a rering, it wouldn't be bad, but..... We haven't seen too many skis that only need rings.

The cyls are Nikasil plated, which costs about $175 each if they're scarred. 785 pistons are all but gone now, so you need to use STD 750 pistons now.

Then you need to find what the cause of the problem is, and fix that.

Also you have to hope the crank is in good shape. If the pistons did fail, metal shavings have most likely found there way inside the bearings. PRO cranks are not CHEAP to fix....

Honestly, there are no real problems with the triple pipes. Unless you don't drain them for the winter months.

Get the SLX 780 running and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information