Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for a nice reliable ski in the $4-5k range, help?

I'm looking to purchase my first waverunner here within the next couple months and looking for some advice and guidance here.

My biggest concern here is i need a 3 person ski, that is reliable and not going to cost me an arm and a leg to maintain. I want a 3 person as i'll be sharing this with the girlfriend and we would like to take some friends out for tubing every once in a while. I'm hoping to get something newer than 2000-2002 if there is anything in my price range of 4-5k...

Just looking for some advice here and some real life experience. I posted here in the Yamaha section first as from research ive done elsewhere is seems like Yamaha's are one of the more reliable brands...

Any advice is appreciated here!

Thanks so much!

+1
    If you want reliable, you probably want a 4 stroke ski. Try searching for a FX140 on ebay and craigslist. You should be able to find one for around $5000 or less

+1
    the xlt 1200s seem to be pretty stout. no powervalves right?

From my research ive head powervalves can drop and destroy a whole motor? I am a complete newbie at all things jet-ski's so i'm looking for any help. I'm a major car guy/gear head but have never gotten into marine motors yet so looking to learn the basics.

How many hours is too many on a ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by newc048 View Post
    From my research ive head powervalves can drop and destroy a whole motor? I am a complete newbie at all things jet-ski's so i'm looking for any help. I'm a major car guy/gear head but have never gotten into marine motors yet so looking to learn the basics.

How many hours is too many on a ski?
    For a 2 stroke ski, They usually need some overhauling (crank seals, carb overhauls, top end, etc.) between 100 and 200 hours. 4 strokes seem to go forever...like thousands of hours.

Welcome to the forum!
    kick back, grab a cold one and read thru the different brands and models, cruise the Classifieds to get an idea of what to expect in pricing. One serious word of advice tho is be careful and learn everything you can about what model you want to purchase and hopefully you can water test before purchase... and ride for more than just 5 minutes.
    Cars/trucks are easy to discover that it is a bad or good vehicle. Ski`s that cant be tested or improperly checked are really buyer beware.
    so it looks like you have an idea or goal. Also think about how long you want this machine to last and if you plan on any modifications or the many safety concerns addressed here.
    Since your just starting out I think I would forgoe any 2 stroke machine, especially one that is many years old. maybe look for something 2004+ that is 4 stroke... This would be easiest for you to maintain ie: oil changes, spark plugs, etc...
    some good choice for just gas and go would be the FX or VX series ski`s... GPR is not really passenger friendly so avoid that.
    If you are not totally concerned with a high top speed there are several decent choices based on what you are willing to spend...
    usually the case is low dollar, tired junk ski, unless you come across a smokin` deal...
    Yamaha> FX or VX
    Seadoo GTI, or GTX
    kawi 15F, or Ultra
    Honda, very reliable, gas efficient, but not produced anything since 09, I think, and not really performance savy... prolly get flamed for that one...
    In this crap economy you`ll probably find something nice that will go in your price range... just be patient, but as always the closer to summer, the higher the price...
    Well good luck in your search, and enjoy the threads! lots to read...

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    For a 2 stroke ski, They usually need some overhauling (crank seals, carb overhauls, top end, etc.) between 100 and 200 hours. 4 strokes seem to go forever...like thousands of hours.

I think i want to go with a 4 stroke for sure. Seems that is the more reliable way to go, am i correct?

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Thanks Pale Rider! I appreciate the feedback, I'm hoping i can find something nice around here that i can take for a good test ride. Its still about a month or so away from boat season here so i'm going to keep my eyes peeled here locally and research the hell out of as many different ski's as i can.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I am glad I am not the only one to mention the 15f (my personal favorite) , the fx140 is a larger ski and will be better riding 3 up though.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by newc048 View Post
    I think i want to go with a 4 stroke for sure. Seems that is the more reliable way to go, am i correct?

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Thanks Pale Rider! I appreciate the feedback, I'm hoping i can find something nice around here that i can take for a good test ride. Its still about a month or so away from boat season here so i'm going to keep my eyes peeled here locally and research the hell out of as many different ski's as i can.
    No prob, lots of car guys here to , so just use that very same common sense and apply your skills to the marine end of it, you`ll be fine...

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one to mention the 15f (my personal favorite) , the fx140 is a larger ski and will be better riding 3 up though.

Sean
    hahah Sean, those were my 2 choices when I was looking. The GPR and the 15F. I wound up going to a dealer that wanted to actually deal (seadoo and yamaha) and take my almost mint GTXsc in trade. The Kawi dealer wanted no part of my trade and suggested I give him the ski to sell on ebay, ummm ya ok... so after exhausting my local and non local dealers I went with the GPR, was sold on the Blue color...

+1
    Hey bro,
    I bought an FX140. it is gone now. A better choice in my opinion is the FXHO. It has 20 more hp & on the 04+ has the bigger pump. That is what I have now. If you read "abracadabra's" thread it is very helpful as to what it will do stock, and what it is capable of doing. Just my .02

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information