Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XL 700 carb isues

This is a stock 00 XL 700 with double carbs. The ski has new carbs with the factory jets and screws also set by specs. There is also a red spacer plate that does not look stock. Now this is the problem: the engine revs up to 1/2 throttle and if I open the throttle to full it revs just like it hits the limiter. It seems to be a problem with the high speed circuit in the carbs. I opened the H screw more and no result. Should I put bigger main jet, should I lower the pop off? Other suggestions?

+1
    Are you saying that it runs good to half throttle but when you open it from half throttle to full throttle it starts cutting out ?

Are you doing this on the hose or in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Are you saying that it runs good to half throttle but when you open it from half throttle to full throttle it starts cutting out ?

Are you doing this on the hose or in the water.
    Yes, like that. This happens on the water and on the hose it seems like it hits the rev limiter.

+1
    If the red plate is between the carbs and the intake manifold it would be a after market part. you may want to remove it and try it with new gaskets and double check the high & low settings also with new plugs.

Yes the red plate looks like aftermarket. The carbs now are adjusted to manual specs.

+1
    Error in posting sorry

2fast4u I got your posting in my mail but I can't see it on the forum:

when you run the ski on the hose it easly hits the rpm limiter. BEFOR you do anything else put ths ski in the water and ride it. I bet your problem is not a problem at all excepth you are hitting the rpm limiter out of the water. Please trust me on this. I have 25 years experance on these pwcs. Tommy Jordan

When I put in in the water it accelerates up to half throttle and if I open it to full it doesn't rev higher.

+1
    Here are some suggestions you can check or think of, you may have already done them or thought about checking. first make sure the compression is good. i know you have the high and low settings adjusted to spec. just make sure the popoff is set to the wright pressure and the needle seat is proper size. if all these are to spec and still not running wright check for a cracked reed. a easy way to check them without pulling the carbs is to hold your hand close over the carbs NOT CHOKING it and rev it up a few times, if it spits gas back on your hand you have a reed problem. if its running good and just bogging down make sure someone hasn't put too big of a prop in it. Good luck keep us up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Here are some suggestions you can check or think of, you may have already done them or thought about checking. first make sure the compression is good. i know you have the high and low settings adjusted to spec. just make sure the popoff is set to the wright pressure and the needle seat is proper size. if all these are to spec and still not running wright check for a cracked reed. a easy way to check them without pulling the carbs is to hold your hand close over the carbs NOT CHOKING it and rev it up a few times, if it spits gas back on your hand you have a reed problem. if its running good and just bogging down make sure someone hasn't put too big of a prop in it. Good luck keep us up to date.
    First of all thank you for responding to my post.
    Yes I have good compression, carbs up to specs. I noticed some kind of fog like in the carbs when I reved up the engine. When I got the chance I will check with my hand over the carbs and anyway I will take out the reeds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by emilbolboaca View Post
    Yes, like that. This happens on the water and on the hose it seems like it hits the rev limiter.
    Have you checked your prop/wear ring clearance I had a ski that the prop/wear ring was worn real bad and the ski was actually hitting the rev limiter and I thought it was just missing at high rpms. Tommy Jordan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information