Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rxp overheating problem

Hi guys, my RXP is overheating recently. I have checked the entire cooling system and I just want to know if the thermostat is supposed to move inside the housing or not. I took out the hose and touched it and it moves freely inside the housing. Is that normal or is what's causing the overheating? Thanks..

+1
    Have you removed any of the cooling lines? You can remove the overflow cap and let it run for a bit to remove any air pockets.

+1
    Are you sure it isnt the exhaust overheating?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT View Post
    Hi guys, my RXP is overheating recently. I have checked the entire cooling system and I just want to know if the thermostat is supposed to move inside the housing or not. I took out the hose and touched it and it moves freely inside the housing. Is that normal or is what's causing the overheating? Thanks..
    Did you recently remove the supercharger? or anything around that area? might be the temp sensor is laying or melted on the J pipe

+1
    The thermostat fits loosely in the housing so you should be able to move around slightly. I am sure someone will confirm but as far as I know even when the thermostat stat stops working it will still allow cooling to pass though the system.

Yeah, It rattles around in the Thermo a little--

Check the wire from the Exhaust Temp. Sensor on the WaterBox--- I once had that wire get too close
    to the J-Pipe and melt through the insulation---wire grounded--- overtemp condition resulted.

Could also be the J-Pipe outlet (internal water jacket) holes are clogged reducing Cooling Water Flow through the Exhaust System--

Thanks, I'm sure it is something with the close loop system because the coolant level on the overflow tank goes down about every 10 to 15 minutes when riding the jetski. I have pressurized the cooling system one hour at 13 psi with no apparent leaks. Should I have to make a leak down test to the engine?

+1
    Thanks, I'm sure it is something with the close loop system because the coolant level on the overflow tank goes down about every 10 to 15 minutes when riding the jetski. I have pressurized the cooling system one hour at 13 psi with no apparent leaks. Should I have to make a leak down test to the engine?
    If you have checked the cooling system and there are no leaks, then you should be good. I believe that the exhaust is over heating and not the engine. Check the temperature sensor wiring. Does it do this often or every now and again? Does it do it on the hose or when you are at WOT or riding? I don't believe that it is the engine. It also sounds like you have a line swapped possibly and or your head gasket has a few issues...... If you have removed the SC recently, then check the small hoses under the j-pipe. The water is getting out somewhere. There is a good chance that the cooling lines have been reversed or switched up and/or you have a bad head gasket. What does the oil look like?

+1
    Dont keep riding it for sure bro until you fix the issue so you do not accidentally cause more issues.

Check your Oil dipstick for water contamination (creamy-light brown)--- If so, could be a Oil Cooler Leak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information