Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

Ride plate shimmers, come in.

Well I guess I'm gonna shim my VX plate. I've done some looking and see mixed ideas. Where should I shim this turd? Front or rear and how much? I always hear people talk about how large the contact area of the shim should be. Shouldn't I be looking into a stainless fender washer with a mass amount of surface or what? Also, how thick?? I want the horrid rhythmic bounce at top end gone!!

+1
    I have been using the VX plate with just a .03125 in the rear. I find this shim helps with the hopping effect you get without a shim and gives 2-2.5mph speed gain over the stock rideplate.

I use these shims:http://www.harborfreight.com/144-pie...ent-67585.html
    Last edited by SpeedJunky; 03-30-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: link didnt work

+1
    link didn't work....let's see if this one does:

http://www.harborfreight.com/144-pie...ent-67585.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post
    I have been using the VX plate with just a .03125 in the rear. I find this shim helps with the hopping effect you get without a shim and gives 2-2.5mph speed gain over the stock rideplate.

I use these shims: http://www.harborfreight.com/144-pie...mpaign=buylink
    Thanks, my son might be interested in this; his ski bounces a little more than mine I think mainly because he is about 100 lbs lighter than me.

I would be curious as to exactly how and where the shim is installed, do these fit around the rear bolt(s) and are you only using one total or one on each side... any photos would be great.

+1
    I installed them around the rear bolts only and am using one shim from the kit at 1/32 thickness.
    Weight and speed are a big factor so you will have to experiment with the shim thicknesses. Also no 2 boats are the same as far as hull or rideplate so that plays into the game too.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Thanks, my son might be interested in this; his ski bounces a little more than mine I think mainly because he is about 100 lbs lighter than me.

I would be curious as to exactly how and where the shim is installed, do these fit around the rear bolt(s) and are you only using one total or one on each side... any photos would be great.

+1
    I installed them around the rear bolts only and am using one shim from the kit at 1/32 thickness.
    Weight and speed are a big factor so you will have to experiment with the shim thicknesses. Also no 2 boats are the same as far as hull or rideplate so that plays into the game too.
    I agree with this; different skis, different rider weights all play a part...
    The shims in the photo have a closed end and an open end; I wonder if it's necessary to remove the entire plate or can you just loosen the bolts, drop it a little and push the 2 shims in from the back, or does it matter if the closed end is in back or front... will a 1/32 washer around the bolt work the same, hmmm...

+1
    When I installed mine the opening was facing the outside of the ski. I had dropped the plate and tacked the shims in place with a little grease to stay in place while I installed the plate back on the boat.
    I think you can drop the plate just a bit and slide the shims in as long as the rear rubber pieces were removed first.

I dont have any pics from last season and the ski is still put away for this winter season. Still ice on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I agree with this; different skis, different rider weights all play a part...
    The shims in the photo have a closed end and an open end; I wonder if it's necessary to remove the entire plate or can you just loosen the bolts, drop it a little and push the 2 shims in from the back, or does it matter if the closed end is in back or front... will a 1/32 washer around the bolt work the same, hmmm...

+1
    These are the shims Jim provided with the modded vx plate he did for me. They are fender washers.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...2&d=1301513548

+1
    What thickness are those?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    These are the shims Jim provided with the modded vx plate he did for me. They are fender washers.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...2&d=1301513548

+1
    What thickness are those?
    I don't have a set of calipers on me but I measured them at 1mm on a ruler = 0.039in thick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information