Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: O Canada!

+1

O Canada!

Hello from down under (not all the way down under) in SoLA - you know, bayou country and Mudbug Nationals home waters.

The wife & I are tagging along w/her siblings for a family vacation in Canada this coming August. No, it's not a PWC trip...

We have never been to your beautiful country and are looking for travel advice as far as what to see and do in a limited amount of time. We will be staying in Montreal for a few nights and in Quebec City for a few nights. I think we are staying in or near "Old QC"?

We are open for suggestions as far as tourists stops, dining, and what to see and what not to waste time doing. We've already got the flights and hotel rooms, so we are good there.

Any ideas And, shaking hands w/a Canuck and fellow GH member would be nice, too.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to Canada

All adults, or also some kids?

How's your French?

Valid US passports for everybody?
    Note: passport expiry must be at least a few months beyond when you arrive

Any criminal records, including DUI?

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if some GH member(s) in that region could organize a PWC ride while you are in town. The St. Lawrence river is big and beautiful to ride.

+1
    All adults, or also some kids? All adults; I don't think any one under 30 is going.

How's your French? Mine is non existent; but my B-n-L can get around (he's been to France a few times). My wife's family are actually descendants from the Acadian(sp?) expulsion from the 18th century (Nova Scotia) as w/most of the Cajuns in SoLA.

Valid US passports for everybody? Yes.
    Note: passport expiry must be at least a few months beyond when you arrive I'll let them know, thanks for the tip.

Any criminal records, including DUI? None that I'm aware of and def. not for me & the wife. But I'm curious, what if you were convicted of a DUI, say 25 years ago? Something like that could be an issue?

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if some GH member(s) in that region could organize a PWC ride while you are in town. The St. Lawrence river is big and beautiful to ride. As much as I'd love to say I cruised the St. L., it isn't going to happen. We're flying in, of course, and if I did, it'd be my last PWC ride resulting in a burial at sea. LOL. I'm pretty sure I'll be in "dry-dock" on this trip.

Thanks, for you input K. I've always appreciated your commentary, esp. when it comes to PWC electronics and batteries. Maybe one day I can return the favor...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    ... Any criminal records, including DUI?
    None that I'm aware of and def. not for me & the wife. But I'm curious, what if you were convicted of a DUI, say 25 years ago? Something like that could be an issue?...
    You would have to check the specifics with Canada Border Services.

Some convictions can make you inadmissible for a long time. Others have shorter 'no go' terms.

What is clear is that the border folks these days have access to a lot of information on each person who arrives. So not only must you answer the Canadian immigration officer's questions honestly, you must answer correctly! If someone 'forgets' about some aspect of themselves, it could make for a long 'chat' at the airport.

For most visitors, they pass through immigration and customs in minutes, and there are no issues at all.

But this is an international border, and each person is evaluated individually for admissibility. It can make for awkward times if even one person in your group is turned away upon arrival. They may have to fly right back out of the country, without even leaving the airport.

BTW, if you are bringing a cell phone, ask ahead of time what it will cost to use it while in Canada. You may be surprised at the rates your cell phone company will charge while roaming up here.

+1
    Good info K; I'll check into it...

BTW, and I know this will prob. come off as a dumb question, but is US currency a possibility for spending, or will I def. need to get some money exchanged?

As long as you have valid passports and don't look like bike gang members you got nothing to worry about...same rules apply when heading into the States!! Best to get Canadian funds since you will get raped on exchange rates when using U.S funds. If heading into Montreal you gotta go to "Supersex" strip club....best club I've ever been to...your eyes will pop from your head!! LOL

Have fun and enjoy...once piece of advise...some Quebecers are real dicks especially if you can't speak their french!!

+1
    TY, Thor. Will note the advise on funds. Will prob. have to skip "the best club you've ever been to" and have dinner w/the wife and in-laws instead. Next time... LOL

As far as the language, I know but the meager-est amount of curse words in Cajun.

+1
    ... is US currency a possibility for spending, or will I def. need to get some money exchanged?
    You can buy Canadian cash at the airport when you arrive, or in the city. The exchange rates vary a little but most currency exchange places are within a couple of percentage points of each other. The major banks will also convert money. You don't have to carry US cash, as you can draw from your US debit card or even US Visa card to purchase the Canadian money.

What you want to minimize is using US cash to purchase stuff at stores and restaurants.

BTW, we don't have $1 or even $2 paper money any more. Bring a separate small wallet to carry the Canadian money, makes it easier to keep organized.

Be sure to tell your credit card company and your bank (debit card) that you will be traveling to Canada. That way they don't suddenly cut off your card when their fraud detection system automatically scans for 'unexpected' transactions. Sometimes you have to explicitly tell them to activate 'foreign' use of the cards, or else it simply won't work outside the US.

Tip: If you pre-pay your Visa (or other brand) credit card before you leave, so there is excess money in the account, then you can draw cash from an ATM or bank in Canada (or almost anywhere else) without incurring any 'cash advance' interest charges on your card.

You still have to check on what fees your cards will charge for simply using your card(s) in Canada.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    As far as the language, I know but the meager-est amount of curse words in Cajun.
    Yikes! Cajun curse words would definitely ruin your holiday

If you try to use any French, no matter how broken, people will appreciate your effort and go right into speaking English with you, as most Quebeckers do speak English. There are however, a handful that will be pricky about it and will refuse to speak English to you. Tourist areas tend to be bilingual as are most restaurants. Menus are often in both English and French. You shouldn't have any real issues.

Learn a few simple phrases like 'Bon Jour" - Good Day, "Bon Soir" - Good Evening and "Je ne parl pas francais" - I don't speak French. "Merci" - Thank you, is very useful.

Also "Ou est la Salle de Bain?" - Where is the bathroom is always a good one to know.

Too bad you weren't heading to Toronto. We could have shown y'all a good time here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post
    Yikes! Cajun curse words would definitely ruin your holiday

If you try to use any French, no matter how broken, people will appreciate your effort and go right into speaking English with you, as most Quebeckers do speak English. There are however, a handful that will be pricky about it and will refuse to speak English to you. Tourist areas tend to be bilingual as are most restaurants. Menus are often in both English and French. You shouldn't have any real issues.

Learn a few simple phrases like 'Bon Jour" - Good Day, "Bon Soir" - Good Evening and "Je ne parl pas francais" - I don't speak French. "Merci" - Thank you, is very useful.

Also "Ou est la Salle de Bain?" - Where is the bathroom is always a good one to know.

Too bad you weren't heading to Toronto. We could have shown y'all a good time here.
    Thanks for the language tips; I actually know a few of the terms you mentioned, but it's of the Cajun variety. And I don't dare use the words or terms that would ruin my trip. And, although I speak a minuscule amount of Spanish, I wouldn't dare try that so far up north. Other than that, I'm the average American who expects the rest of the world to speak English, which really isn't politically correct. -You know, when in Rome...

The family is looking forward to the trip. I've never crossed the 49th or the big lakes by land, so this will be a new experience for me. I've always heard how beautiful y'all's country is...

Keep the tips/advice coming... Thanks folks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information