Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best method to break in a New Kawa Utra 300LX

What is the best method to break in a New Kawa Ultra 300LX Ski. A little history; I have a 2007 Ultra that suffered from GIO issues and was a slow red one for its class. I broke it in by the book according to my dealer. I've seen and read different stories on how to break them in. I want to make sure the 300 is broken in correctly. Just looking for some more advice on how to break the 300 in. I found this on PWC.

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Kawasaki_ULTRA_Page.html

Thoughts?

2. Intent of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily the correct process).
    3. Allowed craft to run at idle for ten minutes in the harbor under load in the water
    4. Shut the craft down, allowed to cool
    5. Run the craft at 2000 rpm for 10 minutes, then shut it down allow the craft to cool
    6. Take the craft to run at varied rpm not to exceed 4000 rpm for 10 minutes. Shut it down allow to cool
    7. Take the craft out in the ocean and take to varying gentle speeds up to 2/3rd throttle, all done gently. Varying throttle up and down RPM not to exceed 2/3rds throttle.
    8. A little over one hour on the craft
    9. The craft had very sensitive throttle control, different than the older ULTRAs, sensitive and responsive.
    10. TONS of torque on this craft
    11. Turns and leans very differently than the previous version ULTRAs. This is noted as a primary difference very quickly; this craft wants to turn aggressively.
    12. Can feel the aggressive top loader keeping the craft glued to the water
    13. Trim is fast i.e. moves up and down quickly, I like it
    14. Cruise control does not appear to be intuitive, didnít work for me at low speeds although I did not read that part of the ownerís manual and I suspect it was user error.
    15. This thing wants to run, takes a great deal of discipline to not exceed 2/3rd throttle

How soon should you WOT; 3, 5, 7, 10 hours or sooner?

Joe
    2. Intent of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily the correct process).
    3. Allowed craft to run at idle for ten minutes in the harbor under load in the water
    5. Run the craft at 2000 rpm for 10 minutes, then shut it down allow the craft to cool
    6. Take the craft to run at varied rpm not to exceed 4000 rpm for 10 minutes. Shut it down allow to cool
    7. Take the craft out in the ocean and take to varying gentle speeds up to 2/3rd throttle, all done gently. Varying throttle up and down RPM not to exceed 2/3rds throttle.

9. The craft had very sensitive throttle control, different than the older ULTRAs, sensitive and responsive.
    11. Turns and leans very differently than the previous version ULTRAs. This is noted as a primary difference very quickly; this craft wants to turn aggressively.
    14. Cruise control does not appear to be intuitive, didnít work for me at low speeds although I did not read that part of the ownerís manual and I suspect it was user error.
    15. This thing wants to run, takes a great deal of discipline to not exceed 2/3rd throttle
    Intent of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily

t of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily the correct process).

+1
    Ride it like you stole it!
    I broke in my 07 250X like that and did not have near as much GIO as a lot of people did.
    I also had one of the faster ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Agree!
    My 08 250x got abused from day one and was one the fastest around. But I did have an extra quart in my oil every 10hours...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post

What is the best method to break in a New Kawa Ultra 300LX Ski. A little history; I have a 2007 Ultra that suffered from GIO issues and was a slow red one for its class. I broke it in by the book according to my dealer. I've seen and read different stories on how to break them in. I want to make sure the 300 is broken in correctly. Just looking for some more advice on how to break the 300 in. I found this on PWC.

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Kawasaki_ULTRA_Page.html

Thoughts?

14. Cruise control does not appear to be intuitive, didn’t work for me at low speeds although I did not read that part of the owner’s manual and I suspect it was user error.

How soon should you WOT; 3, 5, 7, 10 hours or sooner?

Joe

14. Cruise control does not appear to be intuitive, didn’t work for me at low speeds although I did not read that part of the owner’s manual and I suspect it was user error.
    Intent of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily

t of ride is to start the break-in process (this is my process, not necessarily the correct process).
    I am also from the school of hard break-in. However, for what its worth, I have a friend who is a Kawi tech. He said that they had received information that it was important to be easy on the break in initially not so much for the rings, but because of the coating on the vanes in the Eaton supercharger. So, 5 minute warmup on trailer, 10 minutes max at 3000 rpm, 10-15 minutes max at 4500, another 10-15 minutes full throttle short bursts......hit the buoy course. No sign of any by-pass after 2 hrs. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    I broke in my 07 250X like that and did not have near as much GIO as a lot of people did.
    On the other hand, I broke mine in by the book and never had any GIO at 220hrs. Not saying that one way or another is better, just that there are people in both camps with good and bad experiences. I'm the kind of person who always follows the book exactly. Of course that's probably because I have very little experience working on engines to base my decisions off of.

+1
    Load is the key!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Olomana View Post
    Load is the key!
    Yes it is for sure.
    It's not about riding the ski fast. It's about accelerating hard and staying off of one single throttle position for any extended period. Ride it hard for short periods of time. Pop the seat and let it cool down in between those hard runs.

IMHO a motor is pretty much fully broken in within the first tank of fuel.

Awesome feedback everyone. I want this thing to be the beast and more that I've been reading about!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post
    I am also from the school of hard break-in. However, for what its worth, I have a friend who is a Kawi tech. He said that they had received information that it was important to be easy on the break in initially not so much for the rings, but because of the coating on the vanes in the Eaton supercharger. So, 5 minute warmup on trailer, 10 minutes max at 3000 rpm, 10-15 minutes max at 4500, another 10-15 minutes full throttle short bursts......hit the buoy course. No sign of any by-pass after 2 hrs. My .02
    Did you rebuild yours or get a 300? I was hoping to hear some feedback on the 300 from someone can trust. Thanks Jeff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    Did you rebuild yours or get a 300? I was hoping to hear some feedback on the 300 from someone can trust. Thanks Jeff
    Got the 300. Call me when you get some time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information