This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

1998 900 STX bendix change

It can be done with the engine in the hull!

Pulled a ski out of storage..owner said it needed a starter

I said "it's never just the starter" Beffore I pull the starter, let me pull the pump to be sure the bearing aren't hosed ( no way to get to the driveshaft coupler to give it a poke) OK, the pump turns fine..it's the starter.

anyhow..after unbolting the exhaust manifold to even get near the starter I pry that pos out of the case..rusted solid. hmmmnnn..OK..maybe water just got into the starter.

Before I button it all up the new starter cranks fine, but the bendix is also frozen

ok..pull the flywheel..well not quite..this year stx 900 has the engine jammed into what looks like a 750 hull..you get a 8 inch opening port with razor sharp threads to access the front of the engine area.

Ok..pull the oil pump ( it's hanging on by one bolt and a few threads)..the drive end of the pump is screwed..hmmmm

ok..unbolt the engine mounts and carbs to get at all the stator cover bolts..2 boxes of band aids later the cover comes off..and it's rust city..full of nasty water and sludge..this ski had sunk at one time..and stayed sunk for a while

the oil pump drive damper is shot..the bearing is all but gone and this explains how water got into the flywheel area (the stator is water cooled on this ski)

Get my flywheel puller in place and hit it with an air gun..no dice..double check to make sure this isn't a polaris motor.

I'm in the red on this job now..in more ways then one

finally the flywheel comes off

so..fellow hulkers..how many hours do you think I'm into this now?..and what are the odds of this motor actually running?

the key points of the post is:

1-you can change the bendix with the engine in the hull
    2-maybe you want to consider not doing that at all.
    3-this is why a starter repair can cost more then a ski is worth. I have a tigersnark(sic) on the lot with a bad bendix also..the motor on that one HAS to come out. The owner just said "it's yours now" I won't even bother filing a lien on it.
    4-people will tell the mechanic anything..I sort of think he bought the ski last year and never actually had it in the water.
    5-you can't have enough band aids, peroxide and duct tape to work on this ski with any measure of sanity.

+1
    I bought a '98 1100 STX a few months back, in kit form. I also found sludge under the stator housing, but the rest of the engine seems OK. The cooling passage for the stator was full of crap, and I had to replace the bearings for the oil pump drive.

Funny how my projects always seem to cost more than they're worth by the time I'm done with them.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

oil pump "damper" bearing

that's an expensive bit..well not compared to the oil pump...having a couple of 90 degree turns the cooling lines makes it a sludge trap makes me wonder sometimes what kind of water people are running thru. I'd rather be working on something in "kit form"..having to do a ridiculous amount of labor to replace some simple parts is simply not right.

+1
    Yea, but there were a lot of pieces missing from the kit!

Thread Information