Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Still overheating

I have been fighting the overheating gremlin for over a year. Everytime I think I have it beat, it happens again. I am desperate for help. I run a 05 RXP riva stage 2. I constantly get overheat warnings from the exhaust. I have changed sensors a dozen times, cleaned the intercooler multiple times, checked for any blocked hoses, drilled out the yellow washer and also tried new ones, replaced waterbox, checked exhaust for blockage, blocked off rear watr line to increase flow, opened up j-pipe holes, etc. Yet I continue to overheat repeatidly. Jerry suggested I bypass the intercooler to see what happens and I stilloverheat. HELP - What else can it be?????

+1
    WOW! this ski is really giving you fits. I wonder if you are getting a real exhaust temp overheat or the ECU is acting up and registering it as a false alarm.

Okay, this is what i would do. Obviously you have spare exhaust temp sensor. Zip tie a spare sensor to the coolant line coming off the overflow tank and plug the wire harness into it. Leave the exhaust sensor in the waterbox as a plug. Go out and run it WITH THE SEAT OFF and keep a close eye on the waterbox to make sure its not really overheating. you will know when its overheating because the rubber insulation will start to melt

Lightbulb

Better yet. Do you have a Raytek or similar infrared thermometer.
    If not it would be worth the money to buy one.
    You can use it on everything.
    Run the ski with the seat off and when the warning beeps scan the water box at the sensor and the sensor it`s self. That will give you accurate info.
    You can check the entire exhaust system this way. Readings will show the actual operating temps in real time.

I tried running with the sensor out. The rubber around the bottom of the waterbox and the inners of the exhaust pipe prove I am overheating.

+1
    well then you definately have a water flow problem.

You could have the J pipe clamped too low where it goes into the waterbox. Doing this will pinch off water flow into the waterbox from the 3 tiny holes in the J pipe.
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 11-18-2006 at 09:18 AM.

iddizzy, sorry to hear that man. Now your on the list with Geo and myself for the most troublesome ski`s
    by now I`m sure you checked and re-checked everything, the plastic strainer in the pump venturi, etc.
    When you hook up your garden hose to flush are you getting alot of volume of water exiting the exhaust outlet?
    How doe the hose look from the IC to the exhaust manifold, do you think there could be blockage there? also did you try to push compressed air thru that hose? (not the IC) ...PR...

+1
    Are u loosing coolant? Do u have to add any?

Yes, I did check the j-pipe to ensure its not to low or blocked. I also checked all the hoses and the strainer a hundred times. Water flow looks good I think. Here is the weirdest part. If I block my flush tube via a hose cap then I will not overheat???????? It seems I am loosing alot of water out that hose. (The one on top of the j-pipe). But when this cap is on it causes the waterbox to remain filled creating some bottom end lag. I really need to fix this. I have a b-kit waiting to go in, and I dont want to make changes till its fixed.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    sounds to me like the water jacket inside the j-pipe AFTER the bypass hose is your problem.

try drilling the 3 little holes ONE size larger...

otherwise put a restrictor on the bypass hose on top opf the j-pipe... it'll put more pressure inside the j-pipe to piss into the waterbox but still let water exit thru the top of the pipe

+1
    checked for any blocked hoses,opened up j-pipe holes, drilled out the yellow washer and also tried new ones
    Are u loosing antifreeze?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information