Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile 260LX spark plug sheared in head

Help from someone please

I've broken a spark plug off in my cylinder head just trying to remove it. Advice for everyone, put some copper grease on your plugs and tighten them only gently, that's my idea, check with someone who knows first. One of my plugs had corroded to the head in some way. Now I've had to take the head off to get the old plug thread out. So tell me please anyone who knows on a 260LX, can I use the old head gaskets? There seem to be two metal ones one on top of the other. What do i need to do to prepare them for refitting? What other stuff should I know about refitting the head apart from the cam timing position and the head bolt torque settings I already know.

Please help
    Cheers
    Ed

+1
    your advise is nothing new we have been telling people for years to do this and people still refuse to listen and suffer the consequence then come on here pleading for help, you will need all new gaskets anbd clean all surfaces good luck getting the remaining threads out

Thanks for the feedback, I have two other people telling me I can clean the head gasket and block/head surfaces and get away with it, one of them is a fellow Brit that has done many 260x rebuilds. Unfortunately I broke a thread removal tool in the old plug in the head and so now I have that stuck too and since that is hardened steel it can't be drilled out. I've managed to find an engineering company near me with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...arge_machining - I'm told this is the solution, we'll see how it goes. What about liquid gasket on the cam cover seal and thread-lock on other bolts, any ideas?

+1
    why all the questions here if you mate is telling you other, personally wouldnt reuse a head gasket or exhaust or inlet gaskets, the cam cover is a rubber seal it is designed to be reusable best advise follow the manual thread lock is only needed on 1 cam chain guide bolt and tensioner. copper coat all exhaust bolts and install the exhaust manifold on the head before you fit the head to the ski if you have removed it.

just wanted a second opinion have you got any other "must do" preventative maintenance tips so I don't find out anything else the hard way?

+1
    spend all your spare time here reading you will find heaps of tips

curiously enough i don't want to spend all my time reading i just want someone with more experience than me to point me at the key things i must do, the common problems etc. etc. you can tell me that?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra260LX View Post
    curiously enough i don't want to spend all my time reading i just want someone with more experience than me to point me at the key things i must do, the common problems etc. etc. you can tell me that?
    There is no quick fix's for knowledge my friend,
    As for all your KEY things you want / need to know, there is no other way but reading previous posts,
    Many before you have asked the same question and ALL have had to do the hard yards and read the posts.

1stly buy a WORKSHOP manual
    2ndly READ http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/foru...-Tips-and-Info

you will learn ALL you need

Waz

+1
    curiously enough we all had to do it at some point and i dont want to spend all my time explaining

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra260LX View Post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information