Just bought my first polaris, any advice?

Well I just my first polaris, a 94 SL650. I mostly ride standups but those polaris look slick I think. I use PWCtoday alot, but their Polaris section sucks so I came over here. I just picked the ski up yesterday, its in great condition, has a nice trailer, and best of all, has a BRAND NEW SBT engine in it. The owner couldnt get it to fire and just gave up on it and sold it. After I took it home, I noticed the fuel pump was on off.. Sure enough, I switch it to on and she fired right up!! Not too bad all for $300!!!

Now, what are some good mods/ cheap tricks to make it go faster? Ive seen something about the extended pumps, can someone inform me of what this consists of? Any general advice and information is greatly appreciated!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

good score for $ 300.00, I also use pwc today for info & such, for my Kawis. but your right no polaris activity there! This site has been extremely helpful & informitive on the polaris product. The fuel system is somewhat problematic with the 94 fuji motors,I would go through & replace fuel lines, from the pick ups all the way to the carbs. Also I would go through the carbs & clean or rebuild.be sure to check carb pop off pressure 10-17 lbs is where it should be. Also make sure that you have a fuel restrictor coming off your fuel return, to help keep up fuel pressure. The fuel petcock also has an o-ring that will leak sucking air & cause a lean condition. Quite a few fuji burn motors down due to poor or improper fuel system. Otherwise its a decent boat. Best of luck.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by gordo1287 View Post
    Well I just my first polaris, a 94 SL650. I mostly ride standups but those polaris look slick I think. I use PWCtoday alot, but their Polaris section sucks so I came over here. I just picked the ski up yesterday, its in great condition, has a nice trailer, and best of all, has a BRAND NEW SBT engine in it. The owner couldnt get it to fire and just gave up on it and sold it. After I took it home, I noticed the fuel pump was on off.. Sure enough, I switch it to on and she fired right up!! Not too bad all for $300!!!

Now, what are some good mods/ cheap tricks to make it go faster? Ive seen something about the extended pumps, can someone inform me of what this consists of? Any general advice and information is greatly appreciated!
    You gotta check out k447's signature links, it contains everything you need to know and more.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Read up on the proper engine break-in procedure.

Also, make sure you have the complete warranty paperwork for that SBT engine, in case you need to make a claim. You can call SBT to be sure you have everything you need, warranty-wise. SBT makes a big deal about their warranty, so make sure it is there for you.

Also, BEFORE you do any riding, go over the machine from top to bottom. Make sure everything is correct. If the previous owner didn't know enough to turn the fuel on, who knows what else may not be the way it should be.

Check every fuel hose, clamp, nut and bolt. Use the resources on here to learn how things should be, and make sure yours is good.

Also double check the carburetors. Were they taken apart and rebuilt before being installed on the SBT engine? Carbs with gunk inside (where you cannot see it) are the number one reason for engine damage. Just putting the same dirty carbs on a rebuilt engine guarantees that the new engine will die in a hurry.

Thread Information