Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need polaris emm ------help please------

I bought a ski (my first one at that) from a guy about this time last year was told it was running great and that he had spent 1700 dollars getting it going again, said he replaced the brain cylinder heads and all fuel lines. It has not run right since i got it. My buddy was going to wyo tech so i took it up there to the marine guys and they told my the brain is bad> They said they could get me one for 1200 just wandering if anyone knew where i could find one cheaper at all. Thanks in advance all.

What model of boat? year ? Need more data

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What exactly is wrong with the EMM (brain)?

It has not run properly since you got it? What does it do, or not do? Have the symptoms changed since you first got it?

What was the previous $1700 repair spent on?

Often the EMM itself can be repaired for about $700.

And often enough the problem diagnosis can be incorrect! These Ficht engines can be tricky to properly diagnose if the technician is not familiar with how they work, and what the common failures are.

We are willing to provide help, but you must provide complete and accurate information

Yeah sorry should have put more info. The ski is a polaris virage i 800, The problem is the ski will run great for 15-20 minutes then the tach starts getting erratic and it will start missing and sputtering then just die i can crank it till the battery is dead and nothing but if i wait an hour or so it will fire right up and do the same thing again. I'm pretty sure they dont have a diagnostic tool for it at the scool i took it to either. also the digital display stays on all the time they said both problems were cause the brain was bad? I'm not sure haven't had too much experiance with skis but have the feeling i'm going to have to learn alot very quick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamey1985 View Post
    .. Polaris Virage i 800

... ski will run great for 15-20 minutes then the tach starts getting erratic and it will start missing and sputtering then just die i can crank it till the battery is dead and nothing but if I wait an hour or so it will fire right up and do the same thing again.

... the digital display stays on all the time they said both problems were cause the brain was bad?

I'm not sure haven't had too much experience with skis but have the feeling I'm going to have to learn a lot very quick.
    What model year is your Virage?

The clock is always supposed to be visible, that is normal on all Polaris displays.

When it starts to run poorly does the display show a red warning lamp and a message (HOT or Check Engine)?

Are you up for some diagnostics?

First thing I would do is pull off the small cooling hoses related to the EMM cooling water flow. Make sure they are all clear, and especially check the two brass elbow fittings on the stator cover. They can get clogged. The water flow loops through the stator cover, then through the EMM, then out the back of the hull at the exhaust fitting.

Next thing you can do is rig up a simple LED tool to read out the EMM trouble codes. How-to details can be found through my signature links, under Ficht.

It's a 2002, previously checked the water lines they were all clear< not just the clock stays on it shows gas, oil every thing it does when its running. The guy who worked on it before took the breaker out and put tho fuses inside the breaker case because he said the breaker tends to short the computer? He also put new heads on it because something about the injector tips broke off or something like that? Said he also put a new brain in it and replaced all the fuel lines. No lights were coming on before but last time i took it out to mess with it yes i did see a red light flash on the display but since then i had to pull the battery off to charge it so I'm not sure if that cleared any codes it was showing.

+1
    It's a 2002, previously checked the water lines they were all clear.

not just the clock stays on it shows gas, oil every thing it does when its running.
    That is normal. You can tell if it has been sleeping by what the display does when it 'wakes up' after sitting for more than five minutes. Check the MFD link from my signature

The guy who worked on it before took the breaker out and put tho fuses inside the breaker case because he said the breaker tends to short the computer?
    Circuit breakers sometimes fail, but new ones are inexpensive, and tend to work just fine.

He also put new heads on it because something about the injector tips broke off or something like that?
    Injector tips don't 'break off', they are well protected and recessed in the head. Could it be that the spark plugs broke off in the heads? Is this a salt water machine?

Said he also put a new brain in it and replaced all the fuel lines.
    So both the EMM and the injectors were changed? Or was only the EMM replaced or repaired?

No lights were coming on before but last time i took it out to mess with it yes I did see a red light flash on the display but since then i had to pull the battery off to charge it so I'm not sure if that cleared any codes it was showing.
    The EMM codes are retained even without battery power.

It is normal when the MFI display 'wakes up' from sleeping that it will flash the red lamp, and the speedo needle will also go full sweep. After the display finishes self-testing the red lamp will also stop flashing, unless there is a problem.

The emm and injectors were replaced from what i was told, the light flashed after i had been on it for anout five minutes in the water, I didnt even stay on it long enough for it to mess up like it usually does i shut it down after i saw the light flashing. And previous owners did have it in salt water and i will also being that is the only large bodies of water around, im in florida near cocoa beach.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I also wanted to thank u K447 u are very helpful on this site.

+1
    The EMM and injectors were replaced from what i was told,

the light flashed after I had been on it for about five minutes in the water, I didn't even stay on it long enough for it to mess up like it usually does I shut it down after i saw the light flashing.

And previous owners did have it in salt water and i will also being that is the only large bodies of water around, I'm in Florida near cocoa beach...
    Salt water means you really want to check those cooling lines. Also check the thermostat for salt buildup or other gunk.

You really want the cooling system to be clean throughout. Salt water quickly builds up salt crystals and corrosion inside the cooling system, especially if the cooling system was not flushed after every day of riding on salt water.

When the red light flashes there should also have been a message on the display. Did you notice what it was saying?

It didn't display any message when the light flashed? And i flush it very well whenever i've put it in the water for the few short times i have not to say the people who had it before did as wel, i broke the fitting that the qick connect fitting that is attached to the water rail for the flush hose messing with it so i pulled the water rail off to fix it and go ahead and paint it and when i had it off i tried to take the housing apart that the thermostat is in and i could not get the allen bolts that hold it togather to budge so never did get to check out the thermostat, will have to trie again.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

also where would i be able to find the connector for the homemade code reading tool?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information