Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 XLT sputters but won't start

Compression is 100 across all 3 and I'm getting spark. It feels like a timing issue since it will try to start but won't. It will even idle rough for a couple seconds then die. I installed new br8es-11 in all 3 and confirmed spark on all 3. Drained the tank and put in new gas. Its still on oil injection. I found a dead hole(from a power valve) when I bought it so I put another piston and cylinder (I went through and clearanced all the valves to prevent future problems. It has the same symptoms as before. I also found a broke servo cable which I have pulled them off and ordered a new cable...

I have the front flywheel cover off and all looks clean inside... Anyone know the ohm values that the sensor is suppose to have?...

+1
    Spray some gas in there and try to start it. Does it start better? If so pull the carbs and go through them.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Have you had the fuel lines off? Might have the feed and return swapped. I did this first time I had the carbs off and had similar simptoms. GL.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Spray some gas in there and try to start it. Does it start better? If so pull the carbs and go through them.
    +1 Also make sure you premix some oil with the gas since you just built it and had the stator cover off just to make sure everything is getting oiled properly.

Sprayed gas inside and it still just barely sputters...

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I fogged the guts on assembly but it has oil in the lines still.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    Have you had the fuel lines off? Might have the feed and return swapped. I did this first time I had the carbs off and had similar simptoms. GL.
    Return line is getting gas back into the tank, I pulled it to ensure I was getting fuel through the system.

Keep firing away, still thinking electrical. Its just consistently sputtering... I picked up a thing to check ohms if someone has some numbers.

+1
    I might be grasping, but have you checked your cat-converter?

d plate and chip already installed.. Dunno if it ever ran with it but its black like its started before. I tried to bypass the ground and went from neg terminal to case... Still may be a ground issue to box but i dunno.. Guess I can throw a stator case at it and if that fails then the electrical box... I have the exhaust off right now and it just sputters the same.. gonna be loud if it ever kicks over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chritopherlloyd View Post
    d plate and chip already installed.. Dunno if it ever ran with it but its black like its started before. I tried to bypass the ground and went from neg terminal to case... Still may be a ground issue to box but i dunno.. Guess I can throw a stator case at it and if that fails then the electrical box... I have the exhaust off right now and it just sputters the same.. gonna be loud if it ever kicks over.
    Famous quote from somewhere on here ... "95% of electrical problems are found in the carbs"

And I tend to think you need to pull your carbs off and go through them. Just found bad gunked up ethanol after a winter storage for 6 months. Caused all kinds of problems, backfiring, blowing the rear main seal, run like shit....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chritopherlloyd View Post
    Compression is 100 across all 3 and I'm getting spark. It feels like a timing issue since it will try to start but won't. It will even idle rough for a couple seconds then die. I installed new br8es-11 in all 3 and confirmed spark on all 3. Drained the tank and put in new gas. Its still on oil injection. I found a dead hole(from a power valve) when I bought it so I put another piston and cylinder (I went through and clearanced all the valves to prevent future problems. It has the same symptoms as before. I also found a broke servo cable which I have pulled them off and ordered a new cable...

I have the front flywheel cover off and all looks clean inside... Anyone know the ohm values that the sensor is suppose to have?...
    Im going to have to go with TX21 on this one if it just barley runs at idle it is firing. pull the carbs replace bad gaskets, clean good, prime the fuel lines. i wouldn't start replacing parts without being for sure they are bad. also check the reeds on that cylinder you replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Famous quote from somewhere on here ... "95% of electrical problems are found in the carbs"

And I tend to think you need to pull your carbs off and go through them. Just found bad gunked up ethanol after a winter storage for 6 months. Caused all kinds of problems, backfiring, blowing the rear main seal, run like shit....
    95% of the people don't know what a 2 stroke is. I have 3 1200pv's in the backyard, of which I rebuilt one from the ground up, the other 2 just got carb rebuilds with new kits. I also have 4 skis with 701's of which I have rebuilt 3 of. I also have a 701 backup on the shelf in the garage I built(including carb work) I also have a 760 bigbore on the shelf that I built. In the last 3 months I have rebuilt at least 5 motors and I don't even make any money at it.

Every ski I have ever put a little premix into to fire them up has given me a hint it wants to start. This ski is not the same its not hinting its sputtering like its firing at the wrong point in the rotation. If it would even give me a slight increase in rpm's when it kicked over I would snatch those carbs off and go to town but its not. I'm going to pull the electircal box off my twin 1200pv boat tonight and try it. If that does not work I will put it back and try the stator assembly.

It doesnt run, it just sputters like it is firing at the wrong time in the rotation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information