Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My 2001 GP1200R Rebuild.

I am making this thread to document the rebuild of my 2001 GP1200R. I bought this ski last month from a guy who said it ran great. I am new to jet skis so seeing him start it up gave me the impression that it was in good shape. I was wrong. It has a very beat up #2 cylinder.

I have never worked on jet skis. I have a little experience with cars but not much. I hope this thread will help me get some advise and also give other noobs the confidence to work on their own ski.

So far I have torn the motor down to they cylinders. I will post pics of all the steps this weekend. I am having some trouble getting the cylinders off the crank case but osidebill suggested I tap on them with a rubber hammer. I will try this tomorrow.

Does anyone have suggestions of things I should fix or add while I have the motor apart. I will be adding wave eater clips and Im obviously replacing the bad cylinder and piston. I am also replacing rings on all 3 pistons. I am considering reed stuffers but they are a little pricey. Is this a "mandatory" fix or just something people do for performance. Do I have to replace all the gaskets? They look good and if needed, i'll put up some pics of those as well.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. Im looking forward to riding this summer. PICS TO COME!.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigdingGH.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	234453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dingrepairGH.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	234452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery boxGH.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	234454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unplug3wiresGH.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	234457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	removebootGH.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	234455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stingerbootGH.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	234456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose@headGH.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	234458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remexhaustGH.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	234459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottomhosexstGH.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	234460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opencylinderGH.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	234461

Last edited by SUBLIME808; 04-02-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: accidental post.

got the cylinders off

OK, my camera died and I couldnt stop working so some pics are missing. I removed the manifold and pulled the cylinders off. Osidebill gave me the advise of tapping the cylinders with a rubber mallet after removing the bolts to break them loose from the pins. That worked great.

Here are some pics of what I found in the #2 cylinder. I need to find out if I can resuse the powervalve and if I am going to need to get in the crank case sense I found this debris on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2powervGH.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	234540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2powervavleGH.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	234541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	debrisshelfGH.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	234542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	debrisGH.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	234539  

Moderated
    its looks like you are on track and have a good idea of what you to look for/fix up.

I did the same sort of thing a while back , here is a link to mine in case you are after any tips...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...0R-Project-ski

mind you, i had no idea what i was doing when i started and arguably, still dont

good luck with the build and please keep posting updates.

+1
    Welcome to the forum and Good luck on the build!

+1
    welcome and good luck. i think your the one that PMed me, im glad to help any way i can. keep fighting the good fight sir.

your on the right track with waveeaters, they are essential.

also do some reading on switching to pre-mix, pressure testing the motor when done, crank tolerances, and become framiliar with cajundude, and hydro toys website. also make sure you have a service manual.

also, my signature lists pretty much every reliability mod except for the intake grate bolts, so feel free to read though it and do some searches on the subjects.

ill keep checking in and answering questions so feel free to post them in this build thread. when i did my motor i had a separate thread for the motor rebuild because i didnt get much action over here, but ill make sure to help you out when i can. if you search my name, and find my rebuild thread (its like 22 pages long) you can go through that, it shows how to pressure test, split the cases, re seal them, and do a top end rebuild.

summer is coming, grab a wrench

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know people are reading. Fivespeed, your thread and Cajundudes website are what gave me the confidence to do this myself. If not for them, I may have parted out the ski and been done for good so thanks. I'll have to look into hydrotoys.

Im thinking about going premix. Yesterday I noticed about 1/4 quart of oil sitting in the bottom of the hull just below the gas tank. I dont know where it came from yet but I know that premix will assure it doenst happen again.

Pressure testing and crank tolerences are where I start to get outside my comfort zone. I'll read back over your thread and im sure i'll have more questions when the time comes. Hopefully mid april.

Izz0, I had not seen yours. I'll read over it today. Thanks.

+1
    no problem buddy thats what were here for. a 2 stroke has to hold pressure and have no air leaks or else it will run lean sometimes. when you pressure test it, you cap off the motor so the combustion chamber, intake tract, and exhaust are closed off, and you check it to make sure it doesn't leak. that's the basics of it. searching more on it youll find the specifics, and where to get the kit to test it, how to make one, what kinda pressure to check, how to find leaks, all that other stuff. id be glad to send a more detailed pm or write up on here when the time comes.

Question

Thanks again. Sense im getting into the crank now, I was wondering if I can reuse any of the gaskets in the motor or if I need to buy a whole new set. I am going to buy new seals but it would be nice to reuse the gaskets. They dont look bad. What crank seals are best, ie: teflon/non-teflon.

As far as reeds go, did you replace yours? If so, what did you go with?

Thanks guys

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBLIME808 View Post
    As far as reeds go, did you replace yours? If so, what did you go with?

Thanks guys
    I went with vf3's and have been very happy with them, you can get them second hand on here for around 300.

as for gaskets, i reused mine the first time but ended up replacing them all the second time i rebuilt as i didnt want to risk anything after i ported the motor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information