Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

which would be better?

i have my eye on a 2001 slx1200 and a pro 785 was wondering which would be a better pick? thanks

+1
    Both LOL
    I don't think you could go wrong with either one ,i own both and both are great in there own way

What yr Pro ??

the pro is a 2000, although it will need a piston possibly cyl, or at least a hone for 1400 bucks..which will be faster the owner of 1200 says its seen 70! wow and i would guess the 785 would be way quicker out..tryin to make a descision as if i go with the 785 ill need time to do the rebuild..

+1
    There about even at 60-63 mph i would go for the SLX if it's running 1400 for the pro blown up is way to much and way to risky it will need 800.00 in work at the least and probrably more then that

The SLX will require less maintenance and adjustment. The pro is about the only Polaris I haven't owned, but it seems like everyone is saying you have to constantly watch and adjust them.

+1
    The 00/01 SLX seems to be one of the most reliable pwc ever released by Polaris, if you get the pro be prepared to do some wrenching. The owner would have seen 70 on the dream-o-meter, I think 64, maybe 65 if running awesome would be about right. The 2000 model pro is probably the best out of the lot, not the lightest but still I think the best. I would say top end on both would be very close, but the pro will out accelerate most things on water.

well i believe it has a solas prop, after market intake grate, and spark arrestors,,,so it should be a lil faster than stock, i would think.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy669 View Post
    i have my eye on a 2001 slx1200 and a pro 785 was wondering which would be a better pick? thanks
    I gave my opinion in your other post, but go for the SLX IMO only because of the bad piston. Lugs is right, hidden danger of what else is wrong. That piston failed for a reason and you'd have to fix that as well as the piston. And they aren't as easy as a simple bore/hone if there's cylinder damage. You can't get PRO 785 pistons any more really, so you'd have to run 750's. Which may or may not weigh the same. So, just to be safe, I'd replace all 3 to keep the weight of the pistons exactly the same.

SLX will be about the same top speed, with strong accel.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    The SLX will require less maintenance and adjustment. The pro is about the only Polaris I haven't owned, but it seems like everyone is saying you have to constantly watch and adjust them.
    No, only when you modify them. The only thing you need to maintain is the exhaust valves. Clean them once a year and you should be fine. Other than that, once the jetting is right, it's like any other Polaris as far as reliabilty IMO.

Only prob I had was blowing the silicone hose on the exhaust because rocks and sand clogged up the cooling orifices. The screen on the jet pump was missing and now I installed a water filter in-line. so that shouldn't happen ever again

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy669 View Post
    well i believe it has a solas prop, after market intake grate, and spark arrestors,,,so it should be a lil faster than stock, i would think.
    Not sure what ski you're refering to, but not necessarily true.

Depending what impeller was installed, he may have gained top end, but lost bottom end accel, which is really fun on either machine. Or he made the ski pull VERY hard, and scrubbed a few MPH off the top in the process. You normally sacrifice 1 for the other with impellers.

If you're talking about the PRO with an intake grate, most likely lost top speed. It came with a R&D scoop grate, so if he swapped grates, most likely went with a more aggressive intake for rough water conditions. Which will again increase hook up in the choppy water, but sacrifice top speed on smooth water.

Once again, the PRO has a wide open element on the stock FA. So no gain using an A/M FA. If he installed different carbs, you may get a performance boost. Normally the reason you replace FA's on the PRO.

yah the upgrades were on slx and if im correct they were for top end results runnin wide open down river......im still up in air...im not nessecarily new to pwcs i have 4 right now..man thanks for the replies. i just want to pick one that will run with my 1000 that i have now..

+1
    either one will out run you 1000 cc ski
    That 785 your looking at has been on there for over 2yrs i would stay clear of it unless you can get it for around 6-700.00

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information