Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RXT-X 260 vs Ultra 260x in Chop

Its not a new question but how would you rate the RXT-X 260 vs the Ultra 260x in choppy conditions.

Im finding in chop any bigger than a foot the Ultra just keeps plowing through whereas Im bouncing and flying all over the place. Swapping riders had the same results.
    Are there any mods suggested to improve rough water handling on my RXT-X?
    It just seems there is not enough weight over the front and handling becomes worse in the chop as the fuel tank drains.

The only Seadoo I have ridden that will keep up and some more in the chop is an RXTis.

+1
    I had a ultra 250, it was a great rough water boat but I think my 260 RXTX would give it a hurry up in the rough. I see you have a RS as well, how many RPM are you doing at 72 mph?? how many hours on your ski? I have only done 7 hours and doing 70mph at 8040 rpm so far, hoping for more as hours go up.

Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post
    I had a ultra 250, it was a great rough water boat but I think my 260 RXTX would give it a hurry up in the rough. I see you have a RS as well, how many RPM are you doing at 72 mph?? how many hours on your ski? I have only done 7 hours and doing 70mph at 8040 rpm so far, hoping for more as hours go up.
    Your RXT-X 260 will not go faster you have reached max. It does not go faster original now it's time to start trimming.
    /Robert

Quote Originally Posted by fussy1 View Post

72mph was at 8080rpm. I havnt ridden the ultra 250 but the 260 is very stable in the chop and can maintain good speed without being airbourne constantly.
    I still prefer riding my RXTX though as the cornering ability and flatter water pace is great

The only way is to move engine forward , relocate battery and change fuel tank. Than you will have another ski!!!! If you see lemoine rxtx or fracasso or binhendi!! They have a very balanced ski!!!! The problem of rxtx in stock version is that the nose is very up!!

To improve offshore put a worx inyake grate, good sponson maybe a rotax racing 16 vein pump!!!! Then no one ultra would reach you!

Why rxt is is better than rxtx? Have you thibk on it? The reason maybe is that that ski has mlre load in front!!!

+1
    Try this technique in very choppy conditions:

1. Raise the handle bars to the full UP position
    2. Run the trim down to about 50%
    3. Stand up with your feet placed back on the foot well where it starts to rise and lean slightly forward.

You will find you can go full speed and take a lot of chop and maintain very good control of the ski!

+1
    Jpt779,

I like your technique. It sounds like it might work for me. I will give it a try as soon as the temp gets above 60.... this might be in June by the way its going out here in Virginia!

My friend has an TX as well but he weighs over 300lb. His ski sticks like glue to the lake slop while I go bouncing all over the place.

I see your sig says you are running "74.5 at 8,080." After looking at your mods, I know it is not the catch can, strainer or bilge pump getting you the 6MPH (from 68.5 to 74.5). I believe filling the ride plate holes might be good for 3/4mph and the 4" intake might be good for another mph.... so it must be the Erik's prop getting you 4.25mph!? Also, how did you defeat the GPS speed limiter? Maybe you forgot to list your ECU reflash? If Erik's prop is the answer, then I am calling him tomorrow and getting one for my RXT-X 260.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Try this technique in very choppy conditions:

1. Raise the handle bars to the full UP position
    2. Run the trim down to about 50%
    3. Stand up with your feet placed back on the foot well where it starts to rise and lean slightly forward.

You will find you can go full speed and take a lot of chop and maintain very good control of the ski!
    Sounds like a good technique that I will be sure to try

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by danieletrono View Post
    The only way is to move engine forward , relocate battery and change fuel tank. Than you will have another ski!!!! If you see lemoine rxtx or fracasso or binhendi!! They have a very balanced ski!!!! The problem of rxtx in stock version is that the nose is very up!!

To improve offshore put a worx inyake grate, good sponson maybe a rotax racing 16 vein pump!!!! Then no one ultra would reach you!

Why rxt is is better than rxtx? Have you thibk on it? The reason maybe is that that ski has mlre load in front!!!
    Is it an expensive and difficult procedure to move engine forward, relocate battery to the front and fit a custom fuel tank up front?
    I ride mainly ocean and often in rough conditions so it may be worth it.

I ride offshore and most of my friends have Ultras, in fact, I'm the only RXTX 260 in the group. I agree the nose is too light on this boat. If you come out of the water, the nose immediately lifts and makes landings tricky if you're in the air too long. Another factor might be the stepped hull that "lifts" the ski out of the water for better speed. When it's rough, the Kawis have a huge advantage. I put in a Solas prop with Eric's "setback mod" and that made a big difference. I ran a 12/20 and it hooked up very well and recovered very fast after coming out of the water. I repitched it 13/21.5 and it's not quite the same. I'll probably go with something like a 12.5/20.5. I also run the iS intake grate.
    Adding another fuel tank up front, moving the battery in front of the engine should help keep the nose down, but the iBR pump might make it unbalanced to the left. I've hear the Rotax pump is excellent for hookup, but it's $$$$$. Let me know what you try and what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    I ride offshore and most of my friends have Ultras, in fact, I'm the only RXTX 260 in the group. I agree the nose is too light on this boat. If you come out of the water, the nose immediately lifts and makes landings tricky if you're in the air too long. Another factor might be the stepped hull that "lifts" the ski out of the water for better speed. When it's rough, the Kawis have a huge advantage. I put in a Solas prop with Eric's "setback mod" and that made a big difference. I ran a 12/20 and it hooked up very well and recovered very fast after coming out of the water. I repitched it 13/21.5 and it's not quite the same. I'll probably go with something like a 12.5/20.5. I also run the iS intake grate.
    Adding another fuel tank up front, moving the battery in front of the engine should help keep the nose down, but the iBR pump might make it unbalanced to the left. I've hear the Rotax pump is excellent for hookup, but it's $$$$$. Let me know what you try and what works.
    I will be adding a solas 15/22r soon, 4" filter and possibly an r&d or worx grate. Im also going to look into the ease and cost of a custom built fuel tank (or second piggy back tank) and moving the battery. Moving the engine forward must be difficult I would have thought. Hopefully Seadoo listen to this feedback and balance the ski better in the next models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information