Thread: 06 FXHO issues

+1

06 FXHO issues

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my 06 FXHO and why it isn't running it's full potential.

The most rpms I was seeing was right around 9K, the highest gph I saw was 10.4

I had to feather the throttle to get it to 9K, once it was going it ran great. I don't know how old the fuel is in the ski, it ran well, but not like I know it should.

I'm planning on new plugs for sure, is there a gas filter or anything else I need to check, I looked at the air filter and it's clean. Ski has 126 hours on it.

Sometimes after a full throttle run if you went back to idle it would die, any suggestions?

+1
    Had one doing the same thing it had 2 plugs filing out.

Definitely change the plugs, I bet that is where your problem lies. I would also inspect the air element to make sure it's not saturated with oil, if it is, you might be adding too much oil on your oil changes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FtLaudBlkGT View Post
    Definitely change the plugs, I bet that is where your problem lies. I would also inspect the air element to make sure it's not saturated with oil, if it is, you might be adding too much oil on your oil changes.

The plugs lead me to a question... I thought 4 strokes should be great on plugs... even my pops and my buddy glen (very mechanically inclined) thought it odd that would be the sole cause... I know when I change the plugs on my R-12x I notice a differece, but why are watercraft so hard on plugs?

Filter was clean as a whistle. Haven't pulled the plugs, I've got alot of jetski work tomorrow...

Fouled plugs seem to be common problem on the FX HO model. Maybe it has something to do with the small size of the plugs, but I always heard that a fouled plug was from running too rich? I know that whenever I see a performance decrease, the first step is change the plugs. This past year I started putting Yamaha Ring Free Plus additive in my fuel, which is supposed to remove carbon buildup (I was already using it on my outboard with good results). So far the plugs look great, and no fouling, but I don't know about how well it will work for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    The plugs lead me to a question... I thought 4 strokes should be great on plugs... even my pops and my buddy glen (very mechanically inclined) thought it odd that would be the sole cause... I know when I change the plugs on my R-12x I notice a differece, but why are watercraft so hard on plugs?

Filter was clean as a whistle. Haven't pulled the plugs, I've got alot of jetski work tomorrow...

The 160 hp is a very high performance engine. It likes to spin 10,000+rpm, and has very high compression ratio. It uses a cold spark plug to prevent overheating the cylinder components. The colder plug will foul sooner due to not being hot enought to burn off carbon deposits collected while running in a cold engine, or low RPMs.

I have had one set foul on me I cleaned the plugs and ran them for another 100+ hours. Total on those plugs 235 hours. They fouled due to fogging oil and cold in the garage startup once a month or so. As I said cleaned them and they worked great. Those plugs probaly would have run another 250 hours when re gapped. I changed them because I went to the CR9EK plugs.

Roy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    The 160 hp is a very high performance engine. It likes to spin 10,000+rpm, and has very high compression ratio. It uses a cold spark plug to prevent overheating the cylinder components. The colder plug will foul sooner due to not being hot enought to burn off carbon deposits collected while running in a cold engine, or low RPMs.

Yep........cold idling causes the plugs to foul.

I run 95 ron (UK) fuel in mine, this is our lowest octane rating, and am convinced this helps stop the plugs fouling when cold.
    I fog regularly.....after most rides, & have never had a fouled plug.

Thread Information