Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1994 waveraider dieseling

I am new to the ski arena and when I have had questions you'll always come through, so here is my question:

I rebuilt the jet pump and the carbs and fuel pump. I ran it on the trailer and no problem. I let it sit about two weeks while I worked on another ski and then when I try to run it now (on a trailer, haven't even made it to the water) it diesels.

It ran about 7000 rpm with no throttle. I hit stop and nothing. I pull the stop key and it continues to run. I turn off the gas and it continues to run. I give it about a minute and it is still running, so I pull the spark plugs. It continues to run. Another minute and then I pull off the fuel intake line and it still runs. About another minute and I pull off the return line and then it finally dies.

What is causing this? Bad gas? Is it possible the return line carried that much fuel and was just going back to the engine? Is it a poor rebuild job on my part?

In terms of the engine sound, there was no difference in how it sounded with or without a spark...

Any help would be great.

+1
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Next time it does this, pull the throttle wide open, it will stop. Sounds like it was glow plugging.

I would guess there may be a possible air leak.
    Last edited by RX951; 11-18-2006 at 08:25 PM.

dieseling

Thanks and I guess I did leave that out, before I starting figuring out why, I did try throttling it to see if reving would correct, it didn't. On a couple of occasions it would slow some, but went right back to where it was or it even acted like it was going to die a few times (before I pulled the fuel lines) but would keep running.

Is it possible its a air leak and if so how do I find out? Compression check?

Or is this something that sometimes happens on a trailer and then when in the water the load against the prop is enough to correct?

+1
    When you rebuilt the carbs, did you install new gaskets ?

Have you tried to crank it since then ?

How many hours are on your motor ?

If you many hours on your motor, worn crank seals can leak air also.

I am almost betting on an carb to manifold air leak.

I would also like to refer you to our forum members BullRaider and Darthraider.

They are our Raider Experts.
    Last edited by RX951; 11-18-2006 at 08:25 PM.

+1
    An air leak could be the culprit. Was it running fine before the carb rebuild? A lean mixture is what causes what happened to you. I would take the carb off and go through it. If the low speed check valve was installed backwards, I could see a lean condition resulting from this. Also make sure the needle is moving freely in the seat.

I have seen two ski's run away before, both times it was on the trailer. It should not do this, it probably would have died in the water, but this is not normal.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 11-18-2006 at 06:34 PM.

dieseling

Thanks for the thoughts. I just got the ski, it had been sitting for several years in someones back yard and he wanted it gone. I did rebuild the carbs and fuel pump with Mikuni rebuild kits. I don't know how it ran before, because I have never run it on the water. I literally have only started it a few times during the rebuild and a few times in the last few days, as I have rebuilt another waveraider and was planning on testing both this weekend until this happened.

How do I tell how many hours are on the motor?

I did tear out the carb and put in a primer kit. Would this be a problem? It would be allowing more air in??? Would it mean I need to adjust the low speed or high speed screws, and if so to what?

I also know we are focusing on air, but what would allow it continue pulling in fuel with the fuel cutoff turned off? Or is there more fuel in the fuel line then what I think?

Thanks for any help

+1
    my buddiy's ski did this last week,on the trailer,did your compression go down after it dieseled? I think you can pull on the choke if you have one to stop it also.

+1
    By removing the choke plate more air is allowed to come in through the carb throat but not so much that it would cause the runaway. Being that most ski's are on the rich side from the factory you could probably get away without adjusting the carbs. At most a 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn on the low speed would compensate for the choke plate being removed. Adjusting the low speed circuit has an effect on the high speed circuit, but the adjusting the high speed circuit has no effect on the low speed circuit.

dieseling on land stalls in water: too lean?

I changed the plugs and it appeared to have stopped. I took the ski out today (for the first time). It started right up, but then as soon as put gas on the throttle it stalled. I was also to just feather it slightly and slowly and finally it would get up and go. I had no problems while under way, but if I slowed or stopped, then it would happen again.

It appears to me that maybe it is too lean and that is why it dieseled on the land and is dying or near dying at low speed on the water.

Since I am new, anyone have recommendations on how much to turn the low speed screw to correct this?

Jeep did you put the primer in the return line or the on line???, if it is in the main feed line it can cause a restriction, in the delivery, it needs to be on the return line, the supplied "T" is real small in diameter inside.........the only thing left is the peressure check, remove the carb and install a piece of rubber blocking off the opening, then reinstall the carb, block off the exhaust with more rubber just as it exits out of the manifold connected to the engine, replace the curved pipe, them pull off the pulse line fitting coming from your crancase to your carbs, and put in about 5/7 lbs of air in it .no more tahn that, see if the gauge holds for about 10 minutes, if it doesnt , spray some soapy soultuion all arouns till you find it, you have to remove the front cover to get to the front seal but it is easy......let us know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information