Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 SLX 1200 = Overheating

The ski has been sitting for a number of years. Got some fresh gas and plugs in it and it fired right up! Took it to the lake, it will idle great but bogs down and takes a long time to get up to speed and to hit the power band. I think the carbs just need cleaned and that issue will be fixed. However, after about an hour of riding, it started to overheat but only for a few seconds and only wide open. When I run it full throttle for about a 2-3 min, the red light will flash, the MFD says HOT, and it governs the motor. I let off the throttle let it idle for 3-5 sec, and were all good again, this only happens once it get up to speed and hits the power-band. I've been told the thermostats can stick and cause it to overheat, but I would think that would be constantly hot not only when running hard. I checked the intake grate and it is free of debris. What could be causing this? Thanks for all your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Checked the intake grate? Are you talking about the large open grill under the hull, or the small postage stamp sized plastic mesh filter inside the jet pump exit nozzle?

I suggest you take the time to pull the thermostat apart and check it for clogs and proper operation.

Also, do not continue to ride it until you get those carburetors sorted out (may need to be internally cleaned and rebuilt). You can damage the engine running it the way it is now. In fact, you may have already done some damage. Read up on 'lean burn' and how to avoid it.

Click my signature links for more info, especially if you are new to Polaris PWC.

+1
    As far as the bog goes it's mostly likely your acelarator pump not working ,when the ski is off pull the flame arrestor and hit the throttle and see if fuel squirts in the carbs if not you need to prime the acelarator pump theres a thread on here somewhere that explains how to do it

+1
    2 excellent responses. I "believe" you may already be thermostat-less, as alot of the 2000 1200's came without them from the factory. Also check the little orifice that supplies the lower portion of your exhaust pipe from the upper portion of your exhaust pipe with water. The orifice is on the upper part of the pipe and should be free and clear.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do you ride in fresh or salt water?

If salt, do you back-flush/rinse the engine after you ride?

+1
    I'm wondering if it was well flushed before being left alone for a few years. Salt can harden like steel inside the cylinder water jackets. At high rpm there may not be enough water flowing to keep them cool. If all else fails I would pull the head and take a look at them as well.

Ok so the dumb ass that redid all the fuel lines didnt run a line to the middle carb, where can i find a fuel line diagram so I can hook up everything correctly? I checked K447's signature info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    Ok so the dumb ass that redid all the fuel lines didnt run a line to the middle carb, where can i find a fuel line diagram so I can hook up everything correctly? .
    What are you basing that on? On a stock arrangement, the center carb is fed from the outer 2. You will not see a seperate fuel line from the center carb tapped into the line heading back to your fuel petcock like is the case with the outer 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5576a011.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	234587  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow 2000 SLX fuel hose routing

Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    .... where can i find a fuel line diagram so I can hook up everything correctly?

I checked K447's signature info.
    The Parts Sources link/page would be the place

Polaris Industries parts cross reference guide
    (Parts diagrams, part numbers and supersedes)

There is no hose hooked up to the port circled in red.

When I bought the ski, I was told the carbs had been cleaned by a local dealer and fuel lines replaced. He told me it would not top out afterward, the shop said bring it back in and they would adjust it. He never did. It sat for 2-3 years, with no to very little fuel in it. He put a shot of seafoam in it and I filled the tank with 93. The throttle cable was adjusted so it was not doing anything until about half pull, I got it adjusted back to where it needs to be. I dont think the skis have been ran in salt water, if they have it was very little, but dont know for sure.

I checked the cooling hose and it was clear. I am going to try to fix the fuel issue and back flush it and put it on the water and see where were at from there.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Parts Sources link/page would be the place

Polaris Industries parts cross reference guide
    (Parts diagrams, part numbers and supersedes)

Guess I didnt check good enough! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information