Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 2008 FX-SHO Cruiser only goes 42 now. What happened?

I used a GPS with my 2008 many times and it originally went about 64 MPH. 2008 FX Cruiser SHO. I am the original owner. It has about 65 hours on it.

On the last day of the season it seemed lethargic. It may have been running unevenly - like there could be bad fuel or something.

I just had it serviced and they said the air filter was very clogged, so I had them put in a new one, clean out the fuel filter, change the oil, spark plugs, lube everything, etc.

I just took it out for the first time this year, and it would only go 42 MPH. This was at about 6300 rpm. It was smoothly though - no surging. It starts right up, etc.

The lake is shallow, and last year I hit ground a few times. I am thinking it sucked up rocks and harmed the impeller.

Is this the most likely problem I have? Or are there other things that are likely?

Thanks.

+1
    It absolutely could be the prop or wear ring if you ingested some pebbles or rocks. But I would think you would have some cavitation if the prop was damaged. Definitely give it a look and see if it is chipped or bent. Check to see if the SC spins both ways, it doesn't sound like your clutch went because your RPMs are still pretty high but its worth a check.

It is in the water but on a lift. Can I just look in from the back with a good flashlight and see enough to know if there is a problem? Or does it require pulling out the guts?

+1
    I'd pull the pump like Mike said and see what the impeller looks like. While you have the pump out, pull the tail cap and check the pump grease.

I've not had any luck with a flashlight. It's really pretty easy to pull the pump.

+1
    It sounds like either the super charger clutck or a water leak on the inter cooler. First check your super charger clutch, remove the air inlet fitting and see if you are able to spin the impeller both ways if you are then it is the clutch for sure. Also since they told you your air filter was prety lugged up, if any material came off it it is probably stock in the flame arrestor right after your throttle body and that will definitely cause serious RPMS loose, Julio...

+1
    as suggested already you won't lose that much speed from a banged up impeller, I'd check the SC clutch 1st

+1
    When my SC clutch went my ski wouldn't turn that many RPM's.

IMO, if it were the impeller in the pump you would still have RPM.

Sounds a lot like a hose is off on the intake likely from the Supercharger to the Intercooler. Also, check the hose from the Intercooler to the throttle body under the intake manifold.

Second, with the engine OFF and hose off the front of the supercharger see if the supercharger wheel will turn both ways. If it does, clutch.

Third, check your plugs. Do they look 'normal'? I would expect them to look different if water was being introduced.

You guys needs to give us an idea where you are located in your profiles. If you were close to me I would tell you to haul it over here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    You guys needs to give us an idea where you are located in your profiles. If you were close to me I would tell you to haul it over here.
    He's from Marshfield, Mass
    Not to get of topic, but do you ride down the cape at all?

If the clutch is ok then it could be the throttle sensors,this will require a new throttle cable

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information