+1

A few questions as a new PWC-er

Hello,
    I recently got as a gift a 1996 GTX, 1997 GS, lots of work to do but overall reliable (only water tested them for 2 hours each) i really enjoy the performance of the GS but i find it very unstable.
    A friend of mine offered me a 2006/2007 RXP 215HP (50 hours i believe) for 1000$ and i went for it,
    after reading up on it, i realised the SC Washers needed to be replaced.

So my questions are :
    -im somewhat sure that they did not shatter, but how hard would it be to replace them? and should i consider a rebuild? if so , what benefits would this work do( except for the fact adding reliability)?
    -Also as a owner of a C180SE (2008 ) would i also have to replace the washers on it? (62hours on it)
    -the rxp is missing a foam part infront of the hull, are there any replacements or should i forget about it (the storage tank is also missing)
    -the gtx and gs seem to run great but leak abit , any idea where it could be coming from?
    -any way to make the gs more stable?
    -thinking about installing some hydroturf on the skis, is it worth doing so?
    -and last question, what maintenance should i be looking into doing with all 3 skis, (being a new owner to the pwc world (as in skis, been boating afew years now)

Welcome to the Hulk!

The search function is your friend.

+1
    well i searched it up, the SC part is somewhat "easy"(looks to be)
    but i still dont understand the point in rebuilding the SC every 100 hours... IS it something the dealer usually does?
    (i find this site very helpfull and well made )
    and about the maintenace, i meant i understand the routine maintenance and winterizing , ect, but i mean what would you guys recomend to do besides what they say in the manual.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    ok ill bite...whats wrong with the RXP? either the guy didnt know what it was worth or its trashed. grenaded motor from SC washers blowing.

as for the GTX and GS Im betting the carbon seals are trashed and need replaced. it either that or the bilge is working against you. look in the back of the pump and if you dont see two little tubes looking at you on the inside top of the pump that is your problem.
    hydro turf is nice but its a lot of work to install it. you have to seal up the rivet holes after you remove the old ones.
    the older skis I would change out the pump oil. check the wear rings if you have cavitation. read the sticky on cleaning the fuel system, clean the rave valves on the GTX check all oil lines as the tend to crack if original.

other than that you have some reading to do...read up my friend and post up if you dont understand something.

welcome to GH!

+1
    The motor is in perfect condition ( for the rxp) , thing is that he scratched it alot when he was towing it, the black upper part has 1 major scratch thats 1/2" by 2" where the fiber glass is seen, the hull was some scratches ( probably from trailer) and some pieces are missing , like the silver pipe on the dash, one bumper corner, one foam insert infront, the front storage tank, otherwise everything is in great order, ill come back next week with a question about the "hinges" on the side, and the reboarding ladder.

Thanks for the Gs/gtx help, btw the gtx has a 657X ( which i heard was dropped) and the gs has a 717, by the serial number , but the engine sticker is missing so i cant tell for sure, i also own one 2 place trailer for the skis, so id like to know what would you recomend putting on it?( im thinking the gtx and rxp as they are the heaviest )
    Last question is, is there any way to make the gs more stable? Cant find any answers, but thanks alot for all the help,
    Sincerly,
    Shui

Thread Information