Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Virage 700 electrical issues

Hello all
    I picked up a killer 2000 virage 700 in great shape for $150.00
    The guy I got it from said it had some sort of electrical problem.
    In tracking down this problem, I took the 12 pin deustch connector apart
    the one that goes from the handlebars to the electrical box, There was some corrosion and several pins were broke off. Does anyone know if you can replace these conectors and if so
    where can you purchase them at ? I have been going through and doing all the basic stuff changing the fuel line cleaned out gas tank rebuilt carbs, rebuilt the jet pump and the thru hull fitting. Just need to get this last thing worked out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Tim

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Corrosion and broken pins in the 12-pin connector that plugs into the MFI? Rarely hear of that sort of failure.

Those Deutsch connectors are fairly well sealed and come from the factory with a thin film of dielectric grease on the seals, so water just should not be getting in there. Perhaps it was left disconnected for a period of time and exposed to water and weather.

You can indeed purchase replacement Deutsch connectors and pins.

Click on my signature links, then look for the MFD section.

Thanks for the reply.
    this is on the wiring harness the goes from the mfi to the e-box there is a 12 pin connector about halfway to the e-box in the engine comartment, it is gray and orange. Are these hard to replace, I can not figure out how the wires are connected, soldered, pushed in, do you need a special tool to install them. Not sure what the problem was looks like someone tried to pry it apart with a screwdriver at sometime in the past and maybe that let in some moisture. I would like to replace them with original style if it is not to difficult

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadw View Post
    ... this is on the wiring harness the goes from the mfi to the e-box there is a 12 pin connector about halfway to the e-box in the engine compartment, it is gray and orange...
    Are you asking about the connector in the cable that runs between the electrical box and the magneto stator housing (at the front of the engine)?

A clear photo might be helpful.

Thanks

[Okay here are some pics of what I'm talking about, you can see some of the corrosion on the pins and the spot where someone tried to pry connector apart in the pics
    numbers on the conectors are as follows

DTM04-12P (GOES TO THE HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE MFI)
    DTMO6-12S (GOES TO THE HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE E-BOX)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2478.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	234716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-04-04_12-27-28_71.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	234717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2475.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	234718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2476.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	234719  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadw View Post
    ... numbers on the connectors are as follows

DTM04-12P (GOES TO THE HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE MFI)
    DTMO6-12S (GOES TO THE HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE E-BOX)
    Well, those do seem to be Deustch connectors, but the pin-outs look different than the MFI connector.

Please document the wire color for each pin number, on both sides of the connection.

Also, those are Deutsch DTM connectors, while the MFI connector is DT.

Deutsch DT series Technical Manual (PDF)

You can buy the connectors and pins online from www.DeutschConnector.com (Batts Racing).

Beware the color coding of the connector bodies. Deutsch normally uses the body color (grey, black, etc) to indicate the indexing 'ridge' pattern on the mating connectors, but sometimes Polaris would order certain connectors with a specific index pattern, but in a different color plastic (just to confuse us). So look at the actual indexing of your connector, not just the color.

Thanks
    They may not go to the MFI they go up to handlebar area somewhere have not traced them out but they are not the ones that go to the stator. This is an inline connector that does not connect to the engine at all, goes from the ebox to the handlebar, that why I assumed it was to the MFI, but we know what happens when we assume.

After some research it appears that I can replace just the pins and receivers, Have you known anyone to do this before ? I am at work now and can get the wire coloring scheme later.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Also the only thing that was missing from the ski was the Spring assisted lifting bar for the front hatch, on the Polaris parts sites I notice that it is NLA, is there a suitable replacement or fix for this ?

+1
    I don't see a problem with just removing and replacing the individual crimp pins on each wire. Plan to change them all, even the ones that may look OK. New pins and sockets are cheap insurance against intermittent electrical problems later on. The pins slide out the back of the connector after releasing the tiny retaining latch for each pin.

I would suggest you also replace the connector bodies, and the little round wire seals. That way you know it will be well sealed and long lasting.

Replacement for the OEM gas springs are tricky since Polaris used an odd-ball length. Somewhere on here I think I have documented some replacement options. I you cannot find the info, I will have to hunt around for my notes.

Thanks for all the info I ordered new DTM connectors and they come with all new pins, I will take some good pics and let everyone know how things turn out.
    Searched for the gas shock info but had no luck, If you have time I would greatly apprecite you passing that info along.
    Found some stainless steel gas shocks on West Marine but I need to know that correct length, compressed and extended.
    Thanks again

+1
    Gas spring, not gas shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information