Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

water spraying from head gasket/upper o-ring when connected to water hose 2002 GTI LE

I hooked up the garden hose to the flush connection on my ski's yesterday. I started the ski, turned the water on full blast and there was water spraying in one spot from each of the sea doo's head gasket/upper O-ring area. On one of the ski's the o-ring had actually bulged out a bit. The water was a very small but high pressure spray/stream of water. It reminded me of a water hose under pressure with a very tiny hole in it where a very fine but high pressure spray of water comes out. So, I'm guessing I need to replace the head gasket/O-ring. The sea doo parts diagram shows it as an O-ring with part # 420950360. The ski ran flawlessly and I took pictures of the block and the area right around the leak this morning to make sure there were no cracks in the block. I'll take a few more tonight and then post. So, a few questions:
    1. Is this a common problem at all?
    2. Is the O-ring difficult to replace?
    3. Did I do this myself by turning the water on full blast?
    Thanks in advance. I look forward to your replies......I think!

Ok, here are a few pictures. I think maybe it's worse than I thought.....It looks like it's not the very top seal but the one underneath. Here are the pics. SO, go ahead, lay it on me....HOW BAD IS IT?

+1
    I doubt you did that with the hose. Look under that lip and see if it's cracked. I've never seen them commonly push out gaskets like that unless the aluminum corrodes under the seal on the cylinder side, and cracks..

Will do Wot. So, any idea what the cause might have been? I'm not saying I'm anywhere near perfect but I did winterize according to the manual. Did I maybe do something wrong?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    Will do Wot. So, any idea what the cause might have been? I'm not saying I'm anywhere near perfect but I did winterize according to the manual. Did I maybe do something wrong?
    I don't think you did anything to cause it. I had similar problems back in the day with a few 720 motors, but then again I ride in salt. The assumption I had was... that water was able to get into the small gap between the head and cylinder and then lay down at the bottom of the seal (outside edge only) and corrode the outside lower lip, causing it to break and leak.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    IMO,...and ive seen several do this from water in the water jackets and freeze,especially on the slant motors, jmo

From what you can see in the pics, is it possibly fixable with a new gasket/o-ring? Is there only one gasket there? I thought I saw two in the manual, one around each cylinder. I think they come in different thicknesses too. How do I know which one to get? Should I take the old one with me, will that help? I can have it done if you think that is better. If I do, and provided there are no other problems, what kind of cash will I be dropping to have it done? There are 2 sea-doo's and both have the same problem. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    From what you can see in the pics, is it possibly fixable with a new gasket/o-ring? Is there only one gasket there? I thought I saw two in the manual, one around each cylinder. I think they come in different thicknesses too. How do I know which one to get? Should I take the old one with me, will that help? I can have it done if you think that is better. If I do, and provided there are no other problems, what kind of cash will I be dropping to have it done? There are 2 sea-doo's and both have the same problem. Thanks
    In regards to the different thicknesses, I think you are thinking of the cylinder base gaskets. I have never heard of the seals coming in different thicknesses, at least in my experience.

Yes there are two of them. It's a fairly simple and strait forward job , should you decide not to take it on and take it to a dealer, I cannot imagine them getting you for more than an hour labor + parts, if they are only replacing the seals.

Sea-One may very well be right about the root cause, but I am in Florida so I hardly know what freeze means..

Ok, I've decided to go ahead and replace the gasket myself. But I do have a couple of questions

1. Should I also replace the top o-ring, the o-rings around the spark plugs, both square o-rings on the bottom half and both of the o-rings inside the square o-rings? Or, should I just replace each of the bulging o-rings. I don't mind replacing them all if it's better but I want your honest opinion on whether or not I should. It's the difference between spending $10 on parts or $150 but I'd rather spend $150 once than have to take it apart and put it together again soon.

2. Is the only place I use the loctite anearobic sealmaker on the top side in the o-ring groove around the tops of the pistons? That's the only place I saw it mentioned in my brief scan of the manual. Also, how much do I use?

3. Where should I buy a decent torque wrench and how much is it going to run me?

I think that's all of the questions for now. I appreciate your input. Thanks again

I found out I can buy a top end gasket kit for about 40 bucks so that's what I'll do on each of them. Hopefully I won't have to have a cylinder replaced but if I do then that's simply what will have to be done. It looks like I can also get a craftsman torque wrench for 30-40 bucks if I'm lucky enough to only have to do the seals.

Now, if I have to have a cylinder replaced on each one, will someone give me a ballpark figure on what it might cost me to have it done? I'm hoping it's just the seals but that doesn't seem likely provided something metal must have been displaced to have those gaskets bulging like they are. I think I've seen online prices of between 350-500 per cylinder. But, the big question is, what's it's gonna cost to have it installed provided no further damage exists?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information