Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Ways To Lock Jet Ski To Trailer???

Hey Everybody,

Just curious if anybody has any good ways of locking down a jetski to the trailer?

Have two and there will be times when only one will be on the water, and not always alot of people around the docking/parking area to see someone stealing a ski. Got reciever and coupler locks to deter but cant really come up with a good way to "lock" the ski to the trailer.

Have been told by others with multiples to lock up the spare somehow to the trailer just in case as a deterent when theres not alot of people around the dock/parking area. I dont have eye holes on the front of my skis to install the locks that accomodate a locking pin through them. so just seeing if anybody has any good tips/tricks for this besides cable through the back tie down spots. I know... im a little paranoid sometimes

Thanks for any advice!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Don't you have bow eye hoops on the nose of each hull?

There is also a J shaped locking device on the market. It reaches up through the intake grate and hooks over the drive shaft. Then there is a crossbar that bridges the bunks and clamps the ski down to the bunks.

You can also run a heavy duty cable lock through the wheel rim(s) and around the trailer frame. Makes it hard to move the trailer around.

Hitch and receiver locks help, but a determined thief may simply unbolt the entire coupler from the trailer tongue, then bolt on his own coupler. The coupler is usually only held on with two or four bolts. Battery powered impact wrench makes it a quick changeover...

Always look at this sort of thing from the thieves perspective. What is the quickest way to get this trailer/ski 'gone'?

+1
    Good point about the bolts on the coupler, i didn't even think of that

Any idea what the lock for the grate is called or where to find one? Expensive?

My 900 has the eye hoops but the slx doesn't. Has the metal hooks for the winch to hook into but not the hole on the front "bumper" of the bow.

Friends have recomended security, and my uncle came back once from a long river ride in MN to an empty trailer which had his other seadoo on it when he left, so i just want to take some precautions. Never really had to worry bout it before with just the one.

If i could just hide a little gps tracker in the hulls somewhere that would be nice but probably not cost efficient for my skis as they didn't cost 10k each. Be able to pull it up on a computer and get there before it's all chopped and parted. but i do want something as ive put alot into them and worth alot to me.

Thanks for the info!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by D007 View Post
    ... Any idea what the lock for the grate is called or where to find one?

... My 900 has the eye hoops but the SLX doesn't. Has the metal hooks for the winch to hook into...

.. If i could just hide a little GPS tracker in the hulls somewhere that would be nice but probably not cost efficient for my skis as they didn't cost 10k each.

...I do want something as I've put a lot into them and worth a lot to me...
    Why can't you loop a security cable through the same bow loop that the winch uses?

Have a look at FIN (Find It Now) in the online store at www.PWCperformance.com

SkiLock PWC Trailer to Ski Lock

+1
    The Fin will do the GPS thing and the cost is not all that bad. You don't really have to leave it on one device it can be moved if you desire. Check it out with Jerry.

+1
    I thought about putting a cable thru the hook and where the winch is but I figured if someones going to steal a ski they would possibly bring a bolt cutter with also.

The ski lock looks like it would work very well at deterance and keeping it locked down, good price too! Unless they're throwing the ski in the back of a truck, it would be hard to take it on another trailer with the bunks attached to the bottom, possible but difficult. or switching out the bunk bolts with a "rarer" type headed bolt to prevent easy/quick removal. The FIN would be very cool but a little pricey.

The ski lock would be about perfect since I could switch it to the ski i'm not planning to use. Have to get underneath and check to see if it would work out. On my trailer the main two frame rails run right underneath the center of the skis where the lock would be. Gonna try to get some measurements on it from the seller and see.

Wondering if that would cause any damage to the shaft if the skis bounced around hard enough? Guess if the skis strapped on tight it shouldn't.

Thinking i could also run a thick heavy duty chain up around the grate down to the frame rail with a large padlock, with some slack to prevent any breakage if theres some heavy bumping/bouncing and flexing of the bunks. My trailer bounces quite a bit and potholes always seem to find me.

Maybee i'm thinking into this too much

Thanks for the links!!

+1
    Not sure if there will be enough space between the frame and the bottom of the ski to be able to get the lock on/off. Waiting for measurements from the seller.

Any opinions on the chain idea? good/bad? Would rather use the skilock if it will fit between the frame and ski.

Anybody ever used the skilock on their ski's?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1106.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	234756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1108.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	234757  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by D007 View Post
    ... Maybee I'm thinking into this too much ...
    Maybe you are

Cable cutters - look at motorcycle cable locks. Some of those are rather hard to cut through.

Chain up through the intake grate - loop it over the drive shaft, not just the grate. The intake grates aren't all that strong.

+1
    Yea once i get going on a problem i overthink it sometimes, when it comes to securing stuff I get a little paranoid . Always thinkin worst case scenario

Thanks for all the ideas!

I was looking through a truck magazine and saw the ToyLok cable system.
    www.cequentgroup.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information