Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

first sea doo...what to look for? model/year--late 90's early 00's modest budget

hey guys first post on here. looking to get into a ski (i've ridden some tigersharks when they first came out and have a jet boat with a 175hp merc in it) anyhow i'm looking for a couple of skis to ride mainly on a larger (600 or so acre) inland lake. what models should i be looking for? sporty single rider models (i have the boat if i want to take a few or pull a tube/skier) i'm guessing xp's? is there a year/engine that is better then another? i'm not looking for flat out speed (fast is always better ) but just something to have fun with, get me and my girl on a ski (looking to get a pair) and not break the bank (hence the late 90's early 00 time frame) what kind of $ should i be spending on a pair with a trailer? i'm fairly mechanically inclined and my uncle is a ski-doo mechanic so i have the resources to fix/maintain an older ski. i know you guys are partial but is sea doo the best make for the above needs?

i've done some searching but couldnt find answers to what i asked above, if i missed something sorry...be gentle! thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if your looking for the easy/ most reliable I would go with anything with a 787 in it. they can take a lot of punishment. from what it sounds like your looking for a 96XP or 97-99 SPX all are the same ski just minor upgrades for a single rider you can put two on but its a little uncomfortable even if your a smaller person. for 2 up riding I would get a GSX post 98 or a 97-01 XPL but those come with a 951. a pair of nice 96 XP's with a trailer should run you about $3000 tops

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    if your looking for the easy/ most reliable I would go with anything with a 787 in it. they can take a lot of punishment. from what it sounds like your looking for a 96XP or 97-99 SPX all are the same ski just minor upgrades for a single rider you can put two on but its a little uncomfortable even if your a smaller person. for 2 up riding I would get a GSX post 98 or a 97-01 XPL but those come with a 951. a pair of nice 96 XP's with a trailer should run you about $3000 tops
    And you want how much for your XP? Haha!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoofreek View Post
    And you want how much for your XP? Haha!
    whats so funny?

just kiddin ya, thoughtbit was funny when you told him to spend 3, but thats what you want for one! Just playing with ya.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

but really airbornexp is right

The 97+ XP hulls are AWESOME. The XP Limited is FAST though the 951 can be problematic. Well worth it though. The XP may be a 2 seater but it can be challenging with two. Its a bit tipsy even riding solo. If you are looking to ride solo fast and hard through chop, sacrificing some reliability, I recommend the XP Limited. Not sure about DI vs carb. DI is more expensive to repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoofreek View Post
    just kiddin ya, thoughtbit was funny when you told him to spend 3, but thats what you want for one! Just playing with ya.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

but really airbornexp is right
    gotcha, yea its a one off build. sad thing is I have more in it than what im selling it for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    gotcha, yea its a one off build. sad thing is I have more in it than what im selling it for.
    thats what sucks about building the older skis... never can get anywhere near what you put into it back lol

what kind of performace can i expect out of the 787? i found a 96 xp that is in excellent shape, original owner guy isnt real sure on price yet. what does a limited gain you over a "standard" ? the larger engines are more prone to issues, how much more performace do they gain you? how are these to ride? like i said mostly inland lake riding, not real worried about alot of chop.

i also found another very clean pair-2000 rx and a 1999 gsx fresh rebuilds and a spotless trailer for $5500...might be more then i want to spend though.

+1
    a 96XP will be night and day difference in accelleration and handeling over a 95. 787's can take a lot of abuse. a 951 on the other hand can last a while but does not like to eat water. Limited means its got the 951 in it. a 97-98 XP's have a 787 and are slow. a 99 and up XP-L has a 951 and are fast. There is a big difference between a RX, GSX and an XP. an XP is like a street bike on the water and the RX, GSX is more like a cadallac

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information