Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I need to check my reeds?

Well I was just adjusting my carbs, the low speed jet was was almost half a turn too far in. Whith the flame arrestor off, I would accelerate the the engine while looking down the carbs, and every now and again I would see the flicker of a flame in the bottom of the manifold. Is this normal? Does it mean my reeds are shot? I really do not want to pull the manifold and everything off if I do not need to. Thanks for the help

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk.

If you're seeing a flame at the bottom of the intake manifold, you have a bigger issue than just reeds. It means your timing is off somewhere.

No flame should EVER be inside the engine case.

1. Either your elec stator/magneto is too far advanced. (misadjusted or sheared woodruff keY)

2. Or your crank phase is out of time. Conduct a crank index test before you go any further.

Post #5 will help. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

Well Im not sure if it was a flame in the case or what, but I could definity see a flash in the bottom of the manifold.. It had backfired earlier, maybe it sheared my woodruff key?

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Is it possible that I was just seeing a flash of something? Is there a way to tell if the reeds are toast?

+1
    Backfires aren't good. Definately do the crank index test.

Normal indication of bad reeds is ALOT of fuel spitting out the carb top while running.

If your reed has failed, the fuel that is inside the engine case, (supposed to be used for the next cycle) will be forced out of the case through the broken reed, and out the carb mouth because of the downward motion of the piston. (positive pressure)

So generally speaking, if you have a little fuel spit, that's normal. And the reeds are most likely OK.

Only way to tell for sure is to remove the reed cages and inspect them.

I did the crank index test, everything was fine.. Any other ideas why this might have happend / do I need to check the reeds, It is not spitting any fuel out the top so I am now thinking that they are probably OK.. should I test anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by gordo1287 View Post
    I did the crank index test, everything was fine.. Any other ideas why this might have happend / do I need to check the reeds, It is not spitting any fuel out the top so I am now thinking that they are probably OK.. should I test anything else?
    If the problem persists, you could pull the flywheel and make sure the timing mark on the stator is still lined up with the case seem. If it is not lined up properly then the timing would be off and would exhibit the symptoms you are having. Of course this would only apply to a Fuji motor, if it were a domestic, the timing is adjusted with the flywheel itself

For future reference: when asking a technical question you should always specify the model and year of your ski.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    If the problem persists, you could pull the flywheel and make sure the timing mark on the stator is still lined up with the case seem. If it is not lined up properly then the timing would be off and would exhibit the symptoms you are having. Of course this would only apply to a Fuji motor, if it were a domestic, the timing is adjusted with the flywheel itself
    So simply because I saw the flashes in the manifold that one time does not mean that my engine is messed up? The carb jetting was waaay off and there was lots of excess fuel in the case that might have caused it. I ended up taking off the pulse line and just holding the starter down so it spit out the excess fuel in the case. Any suggestion as to what I should do now?

I would take it back out on the water and see if the problem is solved

With"lots" of excess fuel in the case I would think either bad needle and seat, or a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump filling the pulse line

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The pulse line only connects with and would drain one section of the engine. The case below the other cylinders may still have fluid inside.

Liquid in the pulse line can cause damage to the fuel pump diaphragm. Check or replace the diaphragm.

+1
    Yeah, I assumed it was a Fuji (blue) engine.

What model ski do you have???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information