Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Les Cooke etc... Why Turbo??

Hi guys my first post on GH. I, like so many others, have been a pwct regular lurking around on GH and now decided to post a question? This seemed like the better place to do so, so here goes.

I realize the mechanical advantages of a turbo vs. a sc. (No hp robbing, reliability) But why are all the fastest (or at least it seems that way) 4-techs turbo? For the closed course wouldn't the constant boost and non-lag always outweigh those advantages on the cc? These guys are already spending upwards of 40k on their skis. So whats it to em to replace the sc impellor every other race? Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

peace,
    Jonah

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

Replacing the sc impeller every other moto is a myth. It's the sc clutch that they re set the tension on.

Quote Originally Posted by WIslxer View Post
    For the closed course wouldn't the constant boost and non-lag always outweigh those advantages on the cc?
    peace,
    Jonah

they have some stuff built into the set-up that allows the turbo to spool up and build huge amounts of boost before launching the ski that all but eliminates the lag.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    He uses the same ECU setup ive had for four years now.

ALS (anti-lag) is standard on the Nitro Stg1 kit. hard on turbos if used often, but this is what rally and drag cars use all the time for Hard launches w/turbo's. No reason a ski can't either. i use the extra trim lever to activate, on my F13x.

Turbo lag? (not a chance with ALS) Well thats one more reason to use a replacement Programmable ECM. You can actually program the Honda to build Boost at idle?. POW 8-10 psi at the hit of the throttle.. I have the software included in the package to do the set up.

Every hear of an anti lag or misfire system?

This is how it works, when you let off the gas pedal the ignition timing is retarded with sometimes 40? or more of delay and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. the inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector is used to maintain air supply to the engine. this results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. the ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. when the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. cause the EGT being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes when the exhaust valve is open. the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off).

basicly it just retarded the timing out off it. the discription above is what they use on race/rally cars all the time too.

so under no load, but just heat from the misfire, i can be near full boost.

It's not meant to be used at all time. Just when you need to SMOKE the competition from the HiT. I recommend a handlebar switch; guys that know what a two step is will understand what I'm taking about.

You don't think FI or Indy cars have an issue with Lag do you. Neither do drag cars,bikes or rally cars. This is one system that helps tune the lag.

Im not saying it's as good as a serious supercharger (read. the sea-doos Is not a serious blower,a screw blower would be my choice there). but for a PWC application it will give you a holeshot that will run with the best Chainsaws

Here is a exert from the setup manual for my programmable ECM system,.. For techno geeks read on?..

WIs, welcome to the board,
    and NITRO that is very trick, I enjoyed reading that...PR...

Hey thanks everyone. GH, yeah I thought that impellor rumor seemed a little fishy. So nitro this is the type of setup these guys are running? Speaking of rally cars I saw something about when Audi dominated the rallying circuit. I saw a speedvision classic about it and the driver described how he would brake left foot with right foot on the gas to keep the turbo spooled. They now must run this ALS system? This setup outweighs the sc on the cc? In laymans terms how is this semi-dramatic change that much better than the sc setup? Not to pry, but just trying to get the change to turbo logic.

thanks again,
    Jonah

Thanks Nitro for the good read!
    Who's ECU are you using?

JD

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    the AUTONIC ECU on Les turbo rxp's has a Anti -lag function, and launch control
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti-lag.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	10928  

I build Horsepower
    +1
    both the Autronic SMC and (now the SM4) share the same ALS system i use.

Nitro what speeds do you get with your honda?

There is no turbo lag coming out of turns with les's turbo setup

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information