Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up RIVA'S VXR and Ultra 300X today's test ride.

Hello everyone,

I was offered an invitation to test ride the new Kawasaki ultra 300X and Yamaha VXR from Riva Motorsports at their private lake and I have to say I'm really impressed by the performance on the VXR, it feels extremely light weight and nimble. I tested a brand new unit just out of the crate with a quarter of a tank. I took my gps with me and couldn't believe my eyes, 68.7 MPH bone stock it also handles great and it leans in and wants to turn very aggressively, it gets up and goes quick to it's full speed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00171-20110405-1611.jpg 
Views:	1434 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	234871

The Kawasaki ultra 300X was the first ultra I had ever ridden so I can't make any comparison to the ultra 260X however I think Kawasaki did a great job on this jet ski. It is also very nimble, handles great and has great acceleration. I tested the unit in the stock form and it topped out at 68 MPH. I then tested the ski with the Riva speed limiter bypass module and Im only allow to say it went WAY over 70 MPH. I did not notice any cavitation on the ski and being the owner of a 16 LBS boosted FZS I have to admit that was pretty cool. The only negative thing I can say about this model is that it is a very wet ride and the nose dives under on every turn and I got really soaked. There are going to be some very happy kawasaki fans out there owning the Ultra 300X

I'm planing to pick up a blue VXR on Saturday and push the NA motor and already have a few things planned for it, I will then trow my fully build Riva Turbo motor in it once it is ready and after riding the ski today have no doubt it will push it to 100 MPH easy.

Big thanks to Dave Bandas and Riva Motorsports for this awesome invitation. I can't wait for Saturday, Julio...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was offered an invitation to test ride the new Kawasaki ultra 300X and Yamaha VXR from Riva Motorsports at their private lake and I have to say I'm really impressed by the performance on the VXR, it feels extremely light weight and nimble. I tested a brand new unit just out of the crate with a quarter of a tank. I took my gps with me and couldn't believe my eyes, 68.7 MPH bone stock it also handles great and it leans in and wants to turn very aggressively, it gets up and goes quick to it's full speed.

The Kawasaki ultra 300X was the first ultra I had ever ridden so I can't make any comparison to the ultra 260X however I think Kawasaki did a great job on this jet ski.
    It is also very nimble, handles great and has great acceleration. I tested the unit in
    the stock form and it topped out at 68 MPH. I then tested the ski with the Riva speed
    limiter bypass module and Im only allow to say it went WAY over 70 MPH. I did
    not notice any cavitation on the ski and being the owner of a 16 LBS boosted FZS I
    have to admit that was pretty cool. The only negative thing I can say about this
    model is that it is a very wet ride and the nose dives under on every turn and I got
    really soaked. There are going to be some very happy kawasaki fans out there owning
    the Ultra 300X
    I'm planing to pick up a blue VXR on Saturday and push the NA motor and already have a few things planned for it, I will then trow my fully build Riva Turbo motor in it once it is ready and after riding the ski today have no doubt it will push it to 100 MPH easy.

Big thanks to Dave Bandas and Riva Motorsports for this awesome invitation. I can't wait for Saturday, Julio...
    Julio that's great news and can't wait to get a 300x The VXR is a bad ass ski running those number on a naturally aspirated motor and can't wait to see what will come for these skis... Congrats on the purchase and thanks for the write up

+1
    You will love the ultra 300. Good luck, Julio...

This is not news to me . . . . agree w/ every comment on the VXR. I know, 68.7 for a NA Ski (lets just be fair and round that number to 69!). It's just a fun, uncomplicated Ski. I havre not ridden the 300X either, but I hear it's good. I think for most messin' with the speedo wheel to get it to 72 mph and change isn't the right thing to do. I hear it F's up the ECO mode function, boat will drink fuel at same pace as an Irishman drinks whiskey on St Pattys day, you lose the "relative" accuracy of the speedo readout on the dashboard, and the boat will spin to 8100+ rpm to achieve the new peak speed . . . so I don't know if the average Joe should mess with the speedo wheel. But net net: Being able to own a new VXR and a new 300X and have both on double trailer is probably the best "duo" of watercrafts one can have today. Julio; do you really want to go 100 mph on the VXR? I love mine and I think the little fella handles pretty good but 100 mph??? I don't know . . . . . Is that neccessary? JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    This is not news to me . . . . agree w/ every comment on the VXR. I know, 68.7 for a NA Ski (lets just be fair and round that number to 69!). It's just a fun, uncomplicated Ski. I havre not ridden the 300X either, but I hear it's good. I think for most messin' with the speedo wheel to get it to 72 mph and change isn't the right thing to do. I hear it F's up the ECO mode function, boat will drink fuel at same pace as an Irishman drinks whiskey on St Pattys day, you lose the "relative" accuracy of the speedo readout on the dashboard, and the boat will spin to 8100+ rpm to achieve the new peak speed . . . so I don't know if the average Joe should mess with the speedo wheel. But net net: Being able to own a new VXR and a new 300X and have both on double trailer is probably the best "duo" of watercrafts one can have today. Julio; do you really want to go 100 mph on the VXR? I love mine and I think the little fella handles pretty good but 100 mph??? I don't know . . . . . Is that neccessary? JB
    Hello there buddy,

I will love to see the day that I have enough speed to feel it fast enough and say I don't need to go WOT. At 83.3 MPH on my FZS I'm yet to reach that place. I do know I must be careful if I want to live long enough to enjoy it...

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hello there buddy,

I will love to see the day that I have enough speed to feel it fast enough and say I don't need to go WOT. At 83.3 MPH on my FZS I'm yet to reach that place. I do know I must be careful if I want to live long enough to enjoy it...
    Yes, there is a difference between reasonable fun, and what lies beyond that threshold. Needless to say a 100 mph get off could be ugly (I don't want to think about it). Please do it as safely as you possibly can my friend. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Yes, there is a difference between reasonable fun, and what lies beyond that threshold. Needless to say a 100 mph get off could be ugly (I don't want to think about it). Please do it as safely as you possibly can my friend. JB

I couldn't agree more with you. I will take it up slowly and safely, Julio...

+1
    The nose diving in turns/corners is a good thing for racing. The problem with the FZR and I assume the VXR is that the nose stays very high in the corners, which make it harder to turn on a buoy course. That is why I added a auto drop nozzle to my FZR. If you watch video of Craig Warner or Rius in the corners, they get it to dig in, which makes for a perfect turn. If your noze is high, you will not have a good turn.

In regards to a wet ride, I think that is the reason we are on the water...to get wet. I think the FZR is too dry of a ride. Riding in the summer when it is very hot sucks, because you have to get someone to spray you in order to get wet

+1
    Julio: Any word on when Riva is planning to release the bypass module?

I just spoke with a Tech at Riva less than 10 minutes ago and he said they are still in the testing phase and they are having a meeting towards the end of April to talk about the upgrades for the Ultra 300. He told me to check back as he hopes to have have pricing and availability work out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information