Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thru Hull Bearing Housing

Hello all -- I bought a '99 SLX last year and have been lurking in the shadows on this website ever since. Haven't posted much cause I could learn everything I needed to just by clicking search.

Well, I've ran into my first problem. I tore apart the pump yesterday to check the bearings before the spring season. The bearings in the thru hull housing are completely gone. I have a solid 1/8" to 3/16" clearance between the shaft and the bearing housing. Any guesses as to what would cause this? The stub shaft is straight. The driveshaft is straight. I'm leaning towards the previous owner either never greased it, or alignment. Thoughts?

Lastly, it appears that my ability to view the classifieds disappeared. Did something change to where you must have a certain number of posts to view them? I'm gonna need a new bearing housing....

+1
    i have good, drive shaft seal/bushing carrier assy's here. if your's is worn that bad, i would guess your shaft is also bad. i would get it out, and inspect.

please email, or call if interested in one. thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99slx View Post
    ... I bought a '99 SLX last year and have been lurking in the shadows on this website ever since. Haven't posted much cause I could learn everything I needed to just by clicking search.

... The bearings in the through hull housing are completely gone. I have a solid 1/8" to 3/16" clearance between the shaft and the bearing housing...

I'm gonna need a new bearing housing....
    Welcome to the Hulk

Perhaps the previous owner (or mechanic) removed the press-in sleeve bushings from the through-hull housing and did not replace them. Why, I could not say :

How did you check your drive shaft for straightness? It also must not be worn where the through-hull seals and bushings ride on the shaft.

Make sure the splines in both impeller and engine PTO coupler are in good shape. The drive line should have essentially zero play and slop. Make sure the rubber end bumpers are in place on the drive shaft.

I agree that replacing your through-hull is the safer option, rather than trying to repair/rebuild the one you have. Good used ones are not expensive, and new seals and Teflon composite bushings are not expensive.

Post up a few photos of what you have there.

Are you also changing the seals and bearings in the stator hub?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk SLX.

How about posting a pic of the thru hull in question?

Thanks for the welcome!

All my straightness checks have been rather primitive. Rolled drive shaft and stub shaft along a flat surface. Both appeared straight. Splines on the drive shaft, coupler, and impeller look good. The bumpers on each end of the drive shaft were in place. Impeller seemed alright and have even clearance (although over tolerance) between each blade of the impellar and the wear ring. Spun the engine over without spark plugs and watched the coupler. Coupler appears straight and wasn't loose.

Replacing the bearing housing is definitely needed. I'm just trying to find the cause of the problem before I destroy another housing. I'm leaning towards either no grease, or the previous owner installed the housing with no bearings.

Attached are pictures of the drive shaft and the bearing housing. The worn bearing housing is on the right; the left is a good one off my SLTX. The motor end of the thru hull housing was worn substantially more than the pump end. The drive shaft is a little rough where it rubbed on the housing. And, there is actually a small groove worn in the shaft were it rubbed on the metal backing of the seal....

I am replacing the stator bearings and seals. Pulled the stator out of the oven and the bearings out of the freezer this morning...

First time attaching pictures. So I apologize if it doesn't work...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99slx View Post
    ... I am replacing the stator bearings and seals. Pulled the stator out of the oven and the bearings out of the freezer this morning...

The drive shaft is a little rough where it rubbed on the housing. And, there is actually a small groove worn in the shaft were it rubbed on the metal backing of the seal....
    Um, you know you have to install the bearings while they are still cold, and the stator is still hot

You may need to replace the drive shaft.

Lol. I was wondering why I had to use the BIG hammer....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Wow.... That thru hull is hammered!!!!!!!

Is there any rubber shavings in the hull? (engine coupler damaged)

Wonder if the engine was ever removed and never realigned?

That driveshaft would have to have some distortion to it. In the last pic the bearing looks to be egg-shaped.

How in the world could that ski have not sunk? Water would be pouring in.

No rubber shavings in the hull. I have probed all around on the coupler without taking it out, and can't find anything wrong with it.

The picture was taken without the seals. The pump side seal on the thru hull was in decent shape. Now the motor side seal was another story. It was all there, but cracked radial all around the seal.

The ski did take on water... The ski sat on a lake moored for about a week and a half last summer. Every 12 hours or so, the ski would sit about an inch lower in water. I would look around, but couldn't find the leak. I greased the thru hull once it was off the lake to try to push out any water. Not thinking about greasing the thru hull, about a month later I raised the electrical components and filled the hull up to just below the crankshaft seal. If it leaks in, it should leak out... Not the case. Aparently the grease was enough to keep the thru hull from leaking.

I do agree. The bearing does appear to be slightly egg shaped. Don't really know what to make of that though. Suppose I really need to find an alignment tool and check it.

Check for broken motor mounts also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information