Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winterization for us "Northerners"

I understand almost everything about how to winterize. I see nothing written that addresses the issue of getting fresh water out of the ski.

Up here in Minnesota, we get to -40F, and I would appreciate some advice on Winterizing.

I assume you need to inject antifreeze into the engine through the flushing tube?

I get the rest, stabilize the fuel, change oil, get the battery out, spray the engine down with fogging oil.

I just dont get the "water" part of the equation.

Any advice?

+1
    Jeff, I can post this weekend on my antifreeze pump setup if you can wait. Need to test it first, it works on my jet boat and other pwc's but haven't tried it on the rxp yet.

I used to use that saltaway mixer and put antifreeze in it
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...wf&q=salt+away

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    in a 4-stroke??

no need.

add fuel stabilizer to tank... swish it around in there

Fog the cylinders by filling up the entire fuel rail or the injector ports with fogging fluid... hold the throttle WOT for drown mode and crank it for a bit (it won't start)

remove spark plugs, and spray a very generous amount of fogging fluid into the spark plug holes... put the spark plugs back in, and crank the motor in drown motor again (WOT and hit start button)

tilt the ski on the trailer towards the nose/bow... there's a hose on the top of the exhaust pipe... remove it and put a funnel on it and pour antifreeze in there

that's all i do in NY for the entire winter.

Shibby, do you need to put in regular antifreeze, or can you use the RV stuff?

Also how much do you pour in?

+1
    i use the regular RV winterizing collant crap that's on sale at West Marine at the start of the fall each year.... it's like 2 or 3 bucks for a 1-2 gallon jug of it... how much do i put in?

keep pouring it in there... u'll know when the pipe is filled because the funnel will start backflowing or you will hear water dripping out the back of the ski.... which is the antifreeze going out the exhaust outlet near the pump.... never takes more than like 1/3 - 1/2 of the bottle

then when you move the ski around over the winter or tilt it upwards some of the antifreeze will drain out jsut from gravity and pouring out the pipe.... i may put a plug or something over my exhaust outlset this winter bc i move my ski around alot over the winter and the antifreeze accidentally comes out too often and then i replace it with a little.

but anyways, if u get a fair amount in there jsut to prohibit freezing and u don't move the ski around much and cause it to drain out u'll be fine.

+1
    from the Seadoo Shop Manual on Storage..... applying to all 4-tec models....

1. Fuel additive/stabilizer
    2. Oil Change/Filter Change
    3. Flush exhaust
    4. Engine Lubrication
    5. Hull Cleaning Inside and OUT and clean Bilge with detergent
    6. Verify Pump Cone grease
    7. Spray Bombardier Lube all over everything in the engine compartment, ESPCIALLY metal components
    8. Spray down impeller, drive shaft, and pump parts near reverse gates and steering/reverse rods

Manual states NOTHING about antifreeze in the exhaust of the 4-tecs.... i do it anyway bc u'll never get every drop of water out of the exhaust...

when u flush the ski for the last time before the winter... turn water off and let it run with NO WATER for a few secnds and rev her up HIGH to blast any water outta there possible. I personaly still pour a little antifreeze into the exahust.

Is bombardier lube the same as wd40 ?

It's not the same but WD40 is a good substitute.

Thanks guys!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information