Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Phil

After been on the sea - Ski/Equipment.

Having just been on the sea, as soon as I came out the water I washed the ski down and the equipment with cold soapy water, flushed it for 2mins.
    Since I havent had time from Sunday today (Wednesday) I have put all the equipment (wetsuit, gloves, boots, hood etc) into a warm soapy bath which I left for 10 mins to soak, I then took things out and showered them off with cold water and now just hung them up to dry in the bathroom, then will put them outside later when they have stopped dripping.

Should I have done all this when I get back and is this the right way to do it?

Also tonight I am going to wash the ski down again with hose pipe and soapy water, I take it doesnt make much difference hot/cold water in a bucket? And then flush it out again for 2 mins. Put battery on charge and then put cover back on and leave it till I next go on it.

Again should this be done as soon as I get back and is this the right way to do it?

Cheers Phil

+1
    Salt: In my estimation, one of the most abundant, corrosive elements on earth. Yes, as soon as you are done for the day, you need to rinse the heck out of all of your equipment (inside & out) w/fresh, clean water. Although I'm a fresh water rider, this was of the magnitude of importance from my SCUBA days. Also, you may want to check into this: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/ I do not have any experience w/the product, but I've read where some GH members use it quite often.

Phil
    Okay thanks for the reply. What would you recommend to clean jet ski with, just a hose pipe and soapy water?

I like using a soap bucket with a cloth or softer brush. Just spraying it still leaves the material, but if you touch all the surfaces with a soft brush and then spray it, it all comes off. Just like washing a car.

Phil
    And spray ski engine with WD40 or Fogging oil?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1987uk View Post
    Yep, after you've given the inside of your hull a nice, fresh water rinse and drain. I'm still using the OEM Bombi-Lube that SeaDoo markets, but then there is Fluid Film, too...

Phil
    So just pour some fresh water in? And also does that stuff do the same more or less as WD40 or Fogging oil?

+1
    So just pour some fresh water in? And also does that stuff do the same more or less as WD40 or Fogging oil?
    For a post salt ride, take the seat(s) off to expose the engine bay. Take a garden hose w/a shower type sprayer/setting and liberally rinse your engine bay. Make sure it is cooled down from the ride. You don't want to wash a hot engine/accessories. Also, do not use a pressure washer or single stream nozzle, and take care not to saturate the electronics. If you can, have the ski tilted up w/the drain plugs open. Once you've rinsed and drained, fog the bay to help repel residual water. More info. w/details found here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show....2-or-4-stroke....

I'm not sure if it's model specific, so use caution.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fogging oil is for protecting the inside of the engine (mostly the air intake system and cylinders/pistons), not the exterior engine surfaces.

WD-40 isn't all that good for protecting stuff from corrosion. There are much better products available.

Phil
    Thanks for the replies. What other good stuff is there apart from WD40 to use for protecting from corrosion?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information