Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Ski Taking on Water

Need some help... 2010 RXTX 260.. After riding for several hours the ski has water in the hull. Its not the access doors. Carbon seal??

The ski has had two drive failures which were replaced under warrenty. Seems to be getting worse. Started with a small amount and seems to be getting larger. Found 3-4 quarts today. Any advise as to where to look would be greatly appreciated..

+1
    Carbon seal. Especially since you had drive shaft failures in the past. Have you asked them to check the alignment of the pump and engine? I would start there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Carbon seal. Especially since you had drive shaft failures in the past. Have you asked them to check the alignment of the pump and engine? I would start there.
    After the second failure I had the dealer perform an alignment with the jig or fixture. No failure since but water in the hull. Worried I'll be swimming soon. Thanks for the advise....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glade Rider View Post
    After the second failure I had the dealer perform an alignment with the jig or fixture. No failure since but water in the hull. Worried I'll be swimming soon. Thanks for the advise....
    Do you know if they replaced the carbon seal, hat, and boot either of the times? It could have word oddly causing the problem. Take it for a spin with the seat off and look in that area. Mainly while doing holeshots.

+1
    +1

If its coming in from the seal, you will most likely have cavitation on hard launches as well.

Also it's highly recommended to add a good size bilge pump too !

I always have water in my hull too. I've had the carbon seal done and had the engine aligned. I've heard that if you use the brake allot you will pick up water in the hull. Wondering if there is any truth to that

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    I always have water in my hull too. I've had the carbon seal done and had the engine aligned. I've heard that if you use the brake allot you will pick up water in the hull. Wondering if there is any truth to that

Yep. I've read the same thing. Just don't understand why. Where does the water come from when using the brake? Maybe someone will chime in and explain. I have a bilge pump which is how I remove the water. Going to add a second one just to make sure I dont sink. Ski is getting faster but the water is pissing me off.. Thanks to all for the feed back...

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Do you know if they replaced the carbon seal, hat, and boot either of the times? It could have word oddly causing the problem. Take it for a spin with the seat off and look in that area. Mainly while doing holeshots.
    They fixed the alignment (I think) no failures since. I'll bet they never changed the carbon seal, boot, hat etc...

Ha glade I also installed a bildge rule of course. But I put that one in front of the front engine mount that is the lowest point of the hull while it is stationary. But was considering one in the rear of the hull as well. Is that what you were planning as well. Also do those duckbills work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    Ha glade I also installed a bildge rule of course. But I put that one in front of the front engine mount that is the lowest point of the hull while it is stationary. But was considering one in the rear of the hull as well. Is that what you were planning as well. Also do those duckbills work.
    I don't know much about the Duck Bills, I'm sure someone on this site can provide info. I also have the Rule 500 GPM installed in the lowest point of the ski right in front of the engine. Going to install the second one right next to it with one discharge on each side of the ski. Want to be able to see water flowing if the pumps kick on. Not my great idea im just coping what other forum members have come up with but IMO it is a great idea.

Does your driveshaft have the rubber "sleeve" on it? If so, see if it is wearing into the driveshaft seal and causing it to leak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information