Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie needs help!

Hi
    I am looking to buy a used ski for the first time and have no idea what to look for. I have own boats before but never a ski. When looking at a used ski what should I be checking on. Here an add that I may go take a look at http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2310445825.html what do you think?

Thanks for helping the newbie out
    PS is there one brand that is better than anther? (I know there is in boats)

+1
    Engine compression is the number one thing. The ad says the compression is good, but I would still see if you or the owner can do a compression test so you can see the results.
    Hours...and along with that, recent service records. 2 strokes jet skis generally need a lot of maintenance. If its over 100 hours and has never had any major service or maintenance...then you can expect that you'll be doing some work on them sometime soon.
    General hull condition: Dock rash is ok (less is better of course), but also look for cracks, holes, weak spots, previous hull repair.
    Look up inside the jet pump for damage to the impeller and pump veins. Bring a flash light.
    Ask about modifications done to the ski. Handling mods like ride plates, sponsons, impellers, intake grates, and steering systems are all good upgrades that most people can do without screwing up. Mods the engine require more attention to detail.

Thats a good starter list. Others will chime in I'm sure with more ideas.

I tell u 1 thing you are on the rite path getting a yamaha,,lol

Thanks Cutlas!!
    Hey..... now Iam looking at a set of GP1200 1999 and a 2000 -there are some threads about the power value engine and you need to buy clips so the pin that holds the valve in place does not come lose - is that factual? and are these good skies?
    Thanks -the newbie
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2309094944.html

I just bought a 2001 gp1200r and i wish I had asked questions before I bought it like you are now. Do a compression test before you buy it. If the compression is good, there are still a few things you will have to do like remove the catalytic conv and install a D plate and chip. The clips you are talking a bout are waveeater clips and they are about 100 bucks. You will need them to keep the power valves from dropping. There are a few other safety mods you will want to do. You can find them all in the 2 stroke section under yamaha. The GP's are cool cause there are so many parts out there for them. If I could make my purchase over again, I would still buy a GP but I would do a comp test for sure!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Gains View Post
    Thanks Cutlas!!
    Hey..... now Iam looking at a set of GP1200 1999 and a 2000 -there are some threads about the power value engine and you need to buy clips so the pin that holds the valve in place does not come lose - is that factual? and are these good skies?
    Thanks -the newbie
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2309094944.html
    Those 2 ski's in the pictures look like a 98(on the left) and a 99 on the right. Both look like GP1200s which don't have power valves like the GPR's do. They are rated at 135 horsepower and should run about 55 to 60 mph top speed in stock form in good condition. Since the one only runs about 50mph, it might be a little low on power or have a slightly worn out impeller/wear ring. Not a big deal if its the impeller/wear ring.
    That is a fair price for a pair of GP1200s and a trailer. They might take $5000 though if you care to bargain with them.

Hi Cutlas,
    Thanks for your help!! Still have not bought a set of skies yet -I tryed to bargin and would only come down a $100 so we walked -general question would you stay away from the power valve engine? and if so what year did they start making them.Also would put a block plate on and mix your own oil? I know the tree cutting companys run double the oil and there saws last twice as long

+1
    I believe all 99 and older ski do not have power valves, with the only exception being the 99 XL1200. I wouldn't necessarily shy away from PVs, but it is one more thing to go wrong.
    Pre-mix vs. oil injection is endless debate. You'll go through more oil with premix and you'll have to carry some oil with you if you wanna refill the tank on the water. But its way more reliable.
    Oil injection works fine but there's more that can go wrong with (plugged lines, lines falling off, etc). So you need to stay on top of maintenance and inspections on that system. We're talking new hoses, check valves, and crimp style clamps.

I am still looking.............. general question: on a 2 stroke engine is 300 hours of use alot? Iam looking at a set of 1996 Yamaha WV1100 WaveVenture with 300 Hrs

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

PS Here's the link if you want to check them out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-96-...32976418#v4-42

+1
    300 is kinda a lot, but not problematic if everything has been gone through, rebuilt, replaced with good quality parts. From the pics, it looks like the ski's have between 120 and 130 hours.
    If you buy these, you'll wanna make sure they have good compression. Next you'll wanna make sure the oil injection hoses are in good shape. They tend to harden up and eventually pop off the pump or the flame arrestor housing. When that happens, the engine losses it lubrication and quickly destroys itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information